Creating a group email list on Iphone5

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
MrsG
Forum Member
Forum Member

Creating a group email list on Iphone5

Post by MrsG » Wed May 28, 2014 8:38 pm

How can I create a group email on my iphone5 which uses bcc so others can't see email names? I want to reuse this group, and revise it too.

Thank you
Mrs. G

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Creating a group email list on Iphone5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu May 29, 2014 7:16 am

From what I can see, you can't make new groups in iOS.
It's easy to make groups in Contacts on the Mac. Then you can sync all of your contacts, or specific groups only, to iOS, and mail to those groups on the iPhone.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu May 29, 2014 9:08 am

I've never been able to get Groups to work on an iOS device. After creating a Group in my Mac's Contacts app I can see it on an iOS Contacts app but when I drop it into the Bcc: field it doesn't work...at least I've never been able to get it to work. This is a quirk of the iOS Contacts/Mail system.

If anyone knows a work around for this please post it.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu May 29, 2014 2:21 pm

A little more research, and a quick test, makes me think that sending to a group is not supported in Mail on iOS (yet). This page says otherwise, but following their instructions didn't work for me. But I've never had a need to do this, so maybe I did something wrong.

You can make groups on the Mac or in iCloud, and those groups show up in your Contacts app, but I couldn't get Mail to do anything with the group.

Fortunately, there are some apps that fix this for you. Some are free, but watch out for "in app" purchases. (Here's your free car Mr. Hart. Now, would you like to purchase the optional wheels, seats, engine, heater, body, etc.?) I think Apple should require all apps with in-app purchases to detail them in the iTunes Store page.

Having an app for this might seem like a pain, but if you need to mail to groups, it's probably worth the effort.
MailShot looks pretty good.
Others:
Groups.
Mail2Group
Connect
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs