CF Reader problem

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

CF Reader problem

Post by jeanne » Thu May 22, 2014 10:49 am

After spending about 30 minutes on the phone with Apple a few days ago, they came to the conclusion that my CF reader was out of date - USB2 as opposed to USB3. Anyway, I ordered a new reader that is a rev 3. It doesn't work either. I've tried all kinds of scenarios - changing the card, replugging it in, etc.,etc. Does anyone have a possible solution? I plug the card in and nothing at all happens. The new one is a Kingston FCR-hs3. I tried plugging it directly into the computer as opposed to a port but nothing happens. I know the Kingston CF card is good.

I bought a new MAC mini about 3 weeks ago and have spent at least $100.00 worth of phone minutes talking to the "Geniuses" - any help would be appreciated.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: CF Reader problem

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu May 22, 2014 11:32 am

Let's start with USB 2 and 3. USB 3 is backward compatible with USB 2, so the advice you got was wrong. The USB ports on recent Macs can read USB 2 devices perfectly well.

I'll assume you restarted the Mac and that you say the card is good because your camera can detect the card and read from it.

Can you plug in another USB device to the same port to see if the port is working?
Does your camera have a USB socket and cord (those are usually mini- or micro- USB to regular USB)? Every digital camera I've had has a socket and comes with the right cord.

Does the card show up in the Finder? (Go > Computer, then look at the listed drives.)
Does the card show up in Disk Utility as mounted?

Companies that make cards often supply recovery software for free. Here are two:

http://www.transcend-info.com/support/D ... .asp?SID=4

http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-ima ... 4-software

These are generally used if you've erased a card by accident, but might help here.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu May 22, 2014 11:33 am

Also, feel free to ask any other questions about your new Mac mini. Start a new thread for each separate question.
Steve Jobs

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Thu May 22, 2014 12:37 pm

I found this on the Kingston web site:
I updated my Mac to OS 10.9 (Mavericks) and now my FCR-HS3 reader no longer works. How do I resolve this?
There is compatibility issue with the older version of this reader and this version of MacOS. In most cases, updating the firmware resolves the problem.

http://www.kingston.com/support/technic ... ware_v0131

Be aware that the firmware update will only work in a Windows computer. It cannot run in MacOS. If you are unable to update the reader or the update does not resolve the problem, please contact technical support for assistance.
I added the bold to that last part. Unless you know someone with a Windows machine that could do the update for you, you might want to talk to Kingston's tech support.

I'm not clear from your post whether you tried plugging the card directly into the Mini's built-in card reader. If you haven't, it would be worth a try. Stephen's suggestions are all good, too.

Rick
Rick

jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by jeanne » Thu May 22, 2014 2:06 pm

I didn't know the mini had a card reader - mine is a CF card - and the computer is hidden with all kinds of wires and peripherals - nothing I want to deal with on an everyday basis.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 pm

The mini has an SDXC card slot, not a CF slot. There are several USB ports, though, so I'd try different ones.

Are you using a USB extension cord to get access to USB? That could cause problems unless it's a high-quality extension cord. Also, you need to be sure any extension cord is designed for data and power.
Steve Jobs

jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by jeanne » Thu May 22, 2014 4:20 pm

So far with this new mac mini - I've ordered a mouse that doesn't work with it - a card reader that doesn't work with it. Im getting real fed up and if anyone can give me a recommendation to have someone come to my house and fix this darn thing for good - I'll be very happy to pay for this service. I don't want to have to deal it anymore. My old mac mini quit 30 days after the extended warranty was up. I should have gone to the dark side it looks like.

The only thing I ask for is a reliable computer ---

jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by jeanne » Fri May 23, 2014 5:37 am

The card wasn't erased - when I reinsert in my camera the pics are still there. The card doesn't show up in the finder. My Canon digital camera doesn't have a USB port.
The new mouse is the same as the one I already have Logitech M510 - the old one works but the new one doesn't even start up.
The new cf Reader is a Kingston USB3.0 that became so hot after being connected was too hot to handle comfortably. I immediately
pulled it out.
The only thing left is that the port may be the problem - I bought it at staples a few years ago.

When I talked to the Genius at Apple he said that the USB2 isn't compatible with the USB3.0. That may be true but they don't read USB2 on my computer for some reason.

Needless to say, I'm not an expert at this - I just want to get this thing working without my blood pressure dangerously escalating. And it's been hard --

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Fri May 23, 2014 8:58 am

Edit... Kingston states there is a problem with their FCR-HS3 card reader. http://www.kingston.com/us/support/tech ... el=FCR-HS3.

There is compatibility issue with the older version of this reader and this version of MacOS. In most cases, updating the firmware resolves the problem.
Be aware that the firmware update will only work in a Windows computer. It cannot run in MacOS. If you are unable to update the reader or the update does not resolve the problem, please contact technical support for assistance.

There are a few discussions on Apple's discussion board about this issue. Some suggest that Mavericks OS is the cause of the problem not being able to read older CF cards. https://discussions.apple.com/message/23708406#23708406

Contact Kingston support and have them send you a new card reader that will work with your Mac.
-------------------
a few earlier thots...

Have you ever been able to import photos to this Mac or is this something new?

Your Logitech M510 is a Bluetooth mouse. Will the new one turn on? If not have you changed batteries? If it won't turn on return it. If the new one turns on make sure the old one is turned off before you attempt to use it.

Do you have a printer plugged in to any USB port? Does that work? If that works you can likely rule out a problem with a USB port.

If you have another CF card it is important that you try it in your card reader to rule out a problem with the card. Memory cards do go bad and sometimes they'll work in the camera and not work in a computer.

Plug your CF card reader directly into the back of your Mini, no USB hubs involved. If it won't work in one port try another. As Stephen suggested above "Does the card show up in the Finder? (Go > Computer, then look at the listed drives.)"

Don't use a card reader that gets hot, send it back, it's defective. You should be able to pick up a CF card reader at Walmart for under $15.

Please let us know and we can assist further once you have done the above.

----
Last edited by Jay Cline on Fri May 23, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri May 23, 2014 9:44 am

As I indicated above, you should ignore what the Apple rep said about USB 3 on the Mac mini. That's just plain wrong.

This Apple document on the current Mac mini makes this explicit:
Mac mini (Late 2012) has a total of four USB 3.0 compliant ports. You can connect USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and USB 1.1 compliant devices to these ports.
There is a limitation on daisy chaining.

Here's Apple's own page on USB 3. And here's a relevant passage:
What happens if I plug in a USB 2 device into the USB 3 port first?
If you plug in a USB 2 hub first, all devices connected or "daisy-chained" to that hub will operate up to the maximum transfer rate of USB 2 speed (480 Mbps).
What that means is if you plug in a USB 2 device, then plug another USB device into the first one (daisy chaining) the best you'll get in the whole chain is USB 2 speeds.

As to the mouse, you have to pair any mouse (or other BlueTooth device) with the mini. You can see what's paired in System Preferences > BlueTooth or by clicking the BlueTooth symbol in the menu bar. You shouldn't have any problem pairing both the Apple BT mouse and your other mouse. To pair a mouse, go to System Preferences > Mouse and click Set Up BlueTooth Mouse... If the third-party mouse doesn't work, or you can't pair it, try the Apple mouse.

As to going to the dark side, I don't see anything you've reported here that seems to show the mini not working.
Steve Jobs