Yahoo mail notices to upgrade browser

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
carabon1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Yahoo mail notices to upgrade browser

Post by carabon1 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:09 am

We have used yahoo mail for years. Now on iPad. Lately they have been sending a general notice to upgrade browsers, specifically refer to Safari 5.

1. I can't find anything on iPad saying what version of Safari it is running. Our OS on Mac is up to date and iOS has been updated. No new software updates and iOS as of yesterday.

2. I can't find anything about updating Safari for iPad or any info about this in general.

One would think that Apple would keep Safari up to date for things such as this, especially since Yahoo is such a major email system. But I can't find any info at Apple or MacWorld, etc.

Is Yahoo mail moving to Flash?

Any info would be appreciated.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Yahoo mail notices to upgrade browser

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:30 am

As far as I've ever read, Safari in iOS is built in and not independently upgradeable. So you can assume that your iPad has the latest Safari. Presumably Apple has iOS 5 close to ready to go, so there should be a pretty significant upgrade in the whole iOS pretty soon now. (Maybe announced along with the iPhone 5 4s.)

Optional technical detail:

A common mistake in web sites is to hard code a browser version number when checking for browser version. That means that if you install a version of the browser that's later than the one hard coded, the site will complain.
What may be happening here is that Yahoo mail doesn't recognize the Safari version number in iOS.
There was a similar kind of mistake a while back on a PBS web site in which the Flash version check was looking one digit to the left of the decimal point (dot) for the version number. It wanted a number higher than 6. When Flash changed from 9.x.x to 10.x.x, it read only the 0 and refused to work.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Yahoo mail notices to upgrade browser

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:00 pm

carabon1, You didn't say if your were having trouble accessing your Yahoo mail on your iPad. Are you? If so, what seems to be happening?

You automatically get upgrades to all iPad iOS apps such as Safari when you upgrade the iOS. Upgrades are announced in various places including this forum. Just to play it safe, I would suggest connecting your iPad to your Mac via the USB cable that came with the iPad and let iTunes open for you. It will go to the area that controls your iPad and you can click the box that asks you if you want to look for an iOS upgrade. If there is an upgrade, accept it after you do a backup. This will ensure you have the most up to date version of Safari on your iPad.

If you want to try a different browser to see how it handles Yahoo mail then here are some other browsers listed in the App Store for iPad:

Atomic
Perfect
Skyfire
Opera
Mercury

I haven't tried any of these browsers so I can't recommend one over the other. I use Safari.

Last bumped by carabon1 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:00 pm.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.