desktop folders.

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: desktop folders.

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed May 25, 2011 3:01 pm

sandylu wrote:thanks, will give that a try. I have gotten this much done:
I tap to click the folder, then secondary click it in the low right hand corner and a drop down window comes and give me choices. I can click open and it does. Is this how this computer should do it? I am so used to just clicking on the folder and it opens up.
This is a two-finger tap that's the same as a right click on a mouse which will open up an options menu. That's what you saw...the options menu. From that you selected OPEN FOLDER and it did.

I think the problem was the speed setting for the double tap.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed May 25, 2011 3:20 pm

sandylu wrote:thanks, will give that a try. I have gotten this much done:
I tap to click the folder, then secondary click it in the low right hand corner and a drop down window comes and give me choices. I can click open and it does. Is this how this computer should do it? I am so used to just clicking on the folder and it opens up.
Just expanding a tad on Richard's reply.
What you're seeing here is called a contextual menu. That's what you see if you use a "right" click or "secondary" click or control [key plus] click. The menu is contextual because what it contains depends on what you control clicked. That's a very handy thing to learn about, but it's not the simplest or fastest way to open a folder.

As both of us concluded, the problem was probably just that you need to fiddle a bit with the speed set for the mouse and/or trackpad to register a double click. That's a very individual thing, and you'll just have to mess with the settings until it feels right to you on both devices.

On the Mac, at least, a single click always selects an item. A double click always opens an item (if it's something that can open). There are many cases in which you want to select an item but not open it.

Double click speed is very similar to the key-repeat speed you can set on a keyboard. If you're a touch typist, especially one who learned on a computer or who has used a computer a lot, you want the delay for key repeat to be very short. If you're not one of the above, or if you have problems with finger movement, you want a longer delay before a key starts repeating.

I love to help with problems like this because they affect everyone. It's a great chance to teach some Mac basics.
Attachments
contextmenu1.jpg
contextmenu1.jpg (55.04 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
webloccontext.jpg
webloccontext.jpg (46.81 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Thu May 26, 2011 9:07 pm

Does it sound as if she's doing a right click instead of a left click if the contextual menu (with choices) is popping down? Or as if the prefs on the mouse or other device have been changed? Or if the mouse was simply upside down?

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu May 26, 2011 9:36 pm

I met with sandylu this morning and I think we've gotten things under control. A couple of adjustments in the Systems Preferences/Mouse and Trackpad seem to have fixed things.

But an unrelated issue popped up. I tried running Tech Tool Pro v5 (Snow Leopard compatible) to tidy up her hard drive and it crashed the system three times in a row. This is the DVD I use on my own Macs with Snow Leopard. I'm not sure what the problem was.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri May 27, 2011 5:51 am

Richard Serkes wrote:I met with sandylu this morning and I think we've gotten things under control. A couple of adjustments in the Systems Preferences/Mouse and Trackpad seem to have fixed things.

But an unrelated issue popped up. I tried running Tech Tool Pro v5 (Snow Leopard compatible) to tidy up her hard drive and it crashed the system three times in a row. This is the DVD I use on my own Macs with Snow Leopard. I'm not sure what the problem was.
Does the Tech Tool DVD have a system version that's consistent with the MacBook in question?

I only use DiskWarrior, which is generally considered the safest and most conservative app of its type. And I always keep it on an external drive with a clone of the current system on the Mac. That way you never run into the problem of an older trimmed-down OS on the DVD.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri May 27, 2011 9:17 am

Stephen Hart wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:I met with sandylu this morning and I think we've gotten things under control. A couple of adjustments in the Systems Preferences/Mouse and Trackpad seem to have fixed things.

Does the Tech Tool DVD have a system version that's consistent with the MacBook in question?

I only use DiskWarrior, which is generally considered the safest and most conservative app of its type. And I always keep it on an external drive with a clone of the current system on the Mac. That way you never run into the problem of an older trimmed-down OS on the DVD.
This version of TTP is the most current and is compatible with OS 10.6.x which is what sandylu has on her Macbook. I tried running the DVD on both my iMac and Macbook when I got home and there were no problems.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri May 27, 2011 10:23 am

Richard Serkes wrote: This version of TTP is the most current and is compatible with OS 10.6.x which is what sandylu has on her Macbook. I tried running the DVD on both my iMac and Macbook when I got home and there were no problems.
Maybe I misunderstood. Were you trying to boot the new MacBook with the TTP DVD? Or just running it from the DVD while booted off the internal drive?
If you tried to boot from the DVD, the problem might be that the OS version on the DVD doesn't work for the newest MacBooks.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri May 27, 2011 12:40 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote: This version of TTP is the most current and is compatible with OS 10.6.x which is what sandylu has on her Macbook. I tried running the DVD on both my iMac and Macbook when I got home and there were no problems.
Maybe I misunderstood. Were you trying to boot the new MacBook with the TTP DVD? Or just running it from the DVD while booted off the internal drive?
If you tried to boot from the DVD, the problem might be that the OS version on the DVD doesn't work for the newest MacBooks.
I was trying to boot the MacBook from the DVD by placing the DVD in the SuperDrive and going from there. TTP won't run on the "active" drive so to run the maintenance TTP utilities on the internal hard drive you have to boot from the DVD or from an external drive.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri May 27, 2011 1:49 pm

So assuming the problem is OS version on DVD vs. new Mac (a titanic struggle), the workaround is to use an external boot drive instead of the DVD.

I typically just keep DiskWarrior (whose DVDs have the same problem*) on my internal hard drive, and keep it updated there. Then whenever I clone my drive, I'm also making a boot drive with DiskWarrior (and Disk Utility, of course) on board. You could, of course, do the same with TTP.

You can also install a pristine OS X to a thumb drive. I think a 16 GB drive will work. Then add TTP (and whatever else you like) to that.

Or, if you want a super troubleshooter kit, get a pocket-sized drive enclosure, preferably one with FW400, FW800 and USB2 (and, in the future, ThunderBolt) ports. Keep the OS on that drive updated. Then you can go wild with diagnostic and repair software.

If the Mac in question requires a special build of the OS, you can use the Restore disk that came with the Mac to build the external drive's OS.**

* The delay is because any company that wants to distribute a boot DVD has to get the OS files from Apple. And Apple's traditionally slow to get those special builds of the OS out the door to developers.

** I haven't heard of Apple shipping Macs with special builds of the OS for a long time. I think Apple updates the OS with whatever a new Mac needs very quickly through Software Update. That way any fully updated OS X will boot any Mac. That was certainly the case with our new Macs, purchased in November.
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sat May 28, 2011 7:27 am

I'm a little puzzled why ANY of this should be going on with a new Mac. As we all know, when you open the box and take it out, it should work pretty much perfectly and they usually do....