iPhone 5s Fingerprint Scanner

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iPhone 5s Fingerprint Scanner

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:02 am

Here's David Pogue, of The New York Times, on the fingerprint scanner in the new iPhone 5s and how some dedicated technicians bypassed it.

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/ ... technology

Note a few points:

1. Anyone doing this on the sly must find a near-perfect print of the finger you use to wake your iPhone. Even if there is a perfect print on your iPhone, there's only a 1 in 10 chance that it's the right one.

2. They must create a 3D model of the fingerprint. A mere image will not work. (In this case, they used printed circuit board manufacturing technology to make a mold used to make a 3D model.)

3. They must get this right within five attempts and before you brick your phone via iCloud.

4. I can imagine a number of ways Apple could tweak iOS to decrease the odds that this kind of exploit could work.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

windyblue
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: iPhone 5s Fingerprint Scanner

Post by windyblue » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:57 am

Thanks for sharing. It reminds me of a good iPhone barcode app I am using recently. It is an iPhone barcode generator! Nowadays we always use our iPhone to read other created barcodes and get the info. But now, with this app, you can create your own barcode and contain any thing you want. It supports to create qr code, pdf417, code 39, code 128, etc. Just share this iPhone app with you.