Lost Available Space...Why?

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Lost Available Space...Why?

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:01 am

This question pertains to my iPhone 5 and my iPad 4, both using the most current version of iOS 6.x. I wanted to do some spring cleaning on both devices as there were a lot of apps I just wasn't using anymore. I figured I'd free up some storage space. First I did a complete backup on my iPad then I went through the folders deleting the apps I wasn't using. It added up to 25 apps I was going to say "bye" to. After deleting the apps I clicked the APPLY button and waited for the changes to take place. When they did my available storage went down. I then synced and the available storage didn't change. Weird!

Then I did the same thing on my iPhone. First I did a complete backup, then deleted 28 unused apps, clicked the APPLY button and waited for the changes to be permanent. Again, my available space decreased rather than increased. I did a sync and the available space remained the same as after applying the changes from the deleting process.

The loss of available space is confusing. It isn't large but you'd think that removing apps would make the available space increase not decrease. This is not an earth shattering issue but I'm curious. Any ideas as to why this happened?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Lost Available Space...Why?

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:18 am

Did you see a change in the green App part of the bottom display?

If your devices were almost full, perhaps iTunes was holding back on some podcasts or something, then once the space was free, it added more.
Also, how is the Other category? I've read about that ballooning. Here are some tips for fixing an oversized Other category. (They do seem all over the map.)

This page suggests deleting apps in Settings, instead of using the tap/hold/delete sequence. It claims the space will become instantly available.

You could, of course, restore either device to see if that then frees up the space. That's one of the often-recommended ways of dealing with a bloated Other category.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:Did you see a change in the green App part of the bottom display?

If your devices were almost full, perhaps iTunes was holding back on some podcasts or something, then once the space was free, it added more.
Also, how is the Other category? I've read about that ballooning. Here are some tips for fixing an oversized Other category. (They do seem all over the map.)

This page suggests deleting apps in Settings, instead of using the tap/hold/delete sequence. It claims the space will become instantly available.

You could, of course, restore either device to see if that then frees up the space. That's one of the often-recommended ways of dealing with a bloated Other category.

Let's see if I can get all these answered...

1) No, I didn't see a change in the App part because I didn't think to look there. I was looking at available storage.
2) My devices were less than half full when I started and I don't subscribe to any podcasts.
3) I didn't check the Other category. But why would Other increase after deleting apps?
4) I didn't delete anything directly from the devices. I connected them to my iMac and used iTunes. It's a lot more convenient that way.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:51 pm

You might look in the Settings section as indicated in the link I provided and see if it shows the apps as gone.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:12 am

In a discussion of a related issue, where an iDevice inexplicably thought it had more stored than it did, this solution was offered:
While various complex solutions were mentioned, one reader suggested a hard reboot (hold down the lock and home buttom at the same time, until the white apple logo appears). This fixed the issue.
Apparently after a hard reboot, the iOS automatically runs a disk repair program, which happens to fix this problem.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:11 am

Stephen Hart wrote:In a discussion of a related issue, where an iDevice inexplicably thought it had more stored than it did, this solution was offered:
While various complex solutions were mentioned, one reader suggested a hard reboot (hold down the lock and home buttom at the same time, until the white apple logo appears). This fixed the issue.
Apparently after a hard reboot, the iOS automatically runs a disk repair program, which happens to fix this problem.
I tired this but no changes. And I really don't think the OTHER category is overly large. It's just that after removing a couple of dozen apps my free space decreased rather than increased.

I'm not worried about it. I was just curious.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:15 am

Here's a complete-looking discussion of space on iOS devices and how to manage it. Again, mostly about the "Other" category.

http://osxdaily.com/2013/07/24/remove-o ... hone-ipad/
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Oddly, I had this "Other" problem after updating my iPad 4 to iOS 7. In fact, all iTunes showed was "Other," and Sync was grayed out.

I powered down the iPad, and ejected it in iTunes. After it was powered back up and plugged in to USB, iTunes showed everything correctly, and it synced.
Steve Jobs