Auxiliary speakers for iMac

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
georgeandjolie
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Auxiliary speakers for iMac

Post by georgeandjolie » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:36 am

Anyone have advice on purchase of auxiliary speakers for our iMac?
We want to boost sound beyond what the built-in speakers are capable of.
Wireless are desirable but not necessary if there is an advantage to wires.
Advice, tips and leads are all welcome.
George

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Auxiliary speakers for iMac

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:00 am

There are many wired and wireless computer speaker sets available. As you might expect, the price goes up as the sound quality (mostly measured in bass and loudness capability goes up). Any powered computer speakers will do.

Costco has a couple of high-end systems. Staples should have some. Amazon, of course, has a bewildering array.

We have a pretty powerful set (12 x 12 x 12 bass/amp unit with a huge heat sink on the back) attached to our TV. It's quite good for TV in our large living room. But when we compare music on that set to the same music on our real stereo, the computer speakers don't sound nearly as good.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:31 am

Goodwill, sometimes, has decent desktop speakers. I have only seen wired ones; single plug that inserts into the headphones jack. They are stereo and some have separate volume controls to boost the sound volume level. I have not seen any with tone quality adjustments. These are desktop speakers and the plug in cord is short. My experience is the the sound quality is better than the built in speakers of both my MacBook Pro and my 2008 era iMac.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:57 am

There are a TON of really incredible speaker sets with powered sub-woofers out there on the market. Many of them deliver astounding results for very modest money. The only problem is sorting through the 2000 different models and vendors. I tried reading reviews of some of them when I bought a set for my son a few years ago. It was dizzying. Remember that you don't need the latest model and you don't need any fancy features. But sound quality and bass ooomph are the main points. The ideal would be to go and hear a few of them. But even that's difficult! Where do you do this??

I have a set of Boston Acoustics speakers at my office that I like very much. We have an Altec set here at the house that are also nice. But there are LOTS of these. I would just try putting in "computer speakers" into Amazon and then reading through their hundreds of reviews from purchasers. It's actually fun. You shouldn't need to spend more than about $100 for something really incredible.

georgeandjolie
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by georgeandjolie » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:36 pm

Thank you all.
Good advice.
Will proceed.
George

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:14 pm

Bob Wiswell wrote:Goodwill, sometimes, has decent desktop speakers. I have only seen wired ones; single plug that inserts into the headphones jack. They are stereo and some have separate volume controls to boost the sound volume level. I have not seen any with tone quality adjustments. These are desktop speakers and the plug in cord is short. My experience is the the sound quality is better than the built in speakers of both my MacBook Pro and my 2008 era iMac.
I just saw a few at the PA Goodwill today. And I have a set in a bag destined for the PA Goodwill.
All the ones I've seen there are two-piece sets with no separate amplifier or woofer.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs