Accessing NOLS e-books with only an iPad

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Accessing NOLS e-books with only an iPad

Post by Ray Bentsen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:29 pm

Can an iPad user (who does not own a Mac or PC) access e-books from NOLS? If so, how?

Will downloaded e-books open in iBooks, or is another app necessary?

A friend who is doing a presentation on accessing NOLS e-books would like to know.

:?:
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Accessing NOLS e-books with only an iPad

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:48 pm

eBooks from the library must be downloaded to a Mac or PC. After that the file can be transferred to an iPad and read in iBooks or some other iPad app (e.g., Kindle app). That's assuming the file was downloaded in a format that iBooks can "read" or was translated to an appropriate format using another applications such as Calibre.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:19 am

Richard is more up to date on this than I am--he did a presentation on e-books--but last I looked, NOLS had two different sources for e-books. Each requires a proprietary application for download. The only one I've used is OverDrive.

E-books you get from other sources usually just download either to the Mac or directly into iTunes if they're from the iTunes Store.

iBooks will work with any standard e-book (ePub format) and with pdfs.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:00 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:eBooks from the library must be downloaded to a Mac or PC. After that the file can be transferred to an iPad and read in iBooks or some other iPad app (e.g., Kindle app). That's assuming the file was downloaded in a format that iBooks can "read" or was translated to an appropriate format using another applications such as Calibre.
I'm semi-wrong on this. If you want to read the book using Overdrive then yes, you can download NOLS books directly to your iPad. But if you prefer using a different app to read the book then you're going to have to use another app on your Mac/PC and then transfer it to your iPad. And let me correct myself again, there IS a desktop version of Overdrive if you want to use it.

Ray, you've recently done some hands-on work with this. How about posting your suggestions.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:14 pm

When I've used Overdrive in the past, it always created its own folder. But with audiobooks, at least, I could just drag the downloaded file to wherever I want. That defeats the "expiration" of the book. I'm not sure if this works with e-books.

Also, I seem to remember that you needed Overdrive installed on your iPhone or iPad to read the e-books and that they "expired" suddenly and definitively.

I was downloading from the Washington Anytime Library, and maybe NOLS has DRM-free e-books available.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs