DVD download

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Mary Howard
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

DVD download

Post by Mary Howard » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:52 pm

I want to download several DVD's to my Mac and then transfere them to my iPad so I can take them with me on a trip. I can play them on my Mac but can't figure out how to get them into iTunes to transfere. Would someone please lead me through this step by step.

Thanks.
The past you can not change, the future you do not know. Handle today.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: DVD download

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:25 am

I think the most universally recommend software is HandBrake. There's another one called MacTheRipper.
I haven't actually done this, but there's been a discussion on Macintouch recently.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:30 pm

HANDBRAKE works great for 'ripping' a DVD. Full length commercial movies might take up 500 megs of space.
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Mary Howard
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Mary Howard » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:58 pm

Thank You Gentleman, I found out from Apple Care that music CD's are legal to download and move from one platform to another but DVD's are not. Therefore, I can watch the DVD's on my iMac but I can not legally download them to the Mac and then move them to the iPad. Operative word legally and while I don't intend to sell them or burn new copies or do anything but use them for my own enjoyment, I just went and bought an inexpensive portable DVD player for $38.00. It just didn't seem worth the trouble to use Handbrake or some such when the portable player was so inexpensive and I can let the grandkids use it instead of my several hundred dollar iPad. Thanks again.
The past you can not change, the future you do not know. Handle today.
IN GOD WE TRUST

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:30 pm

The "legality" of any use of intellectual property is not set in stone. The US and international copyright laws are complicated, but basically, if the owner of intellectual property sues some entity, that entity has a number of possible responses, including fair use, etc. DVDs are no different from music CDs in this respect. The whole point of copyright laws is to find some balance between promoting creation (that is to say monetarily rewarding creators) and promoting public use of said creations (that is to say allowing public use of said creations.)
The movie industry would like everyone to pay for every viewing of anything. And the music industry would like everyone to pay for every "hearing" of anything. For example, the RIAA's position is that playing a 10-second snippet of a song as a ringtone on your iPhone constitutes a "public performance" of the song, and therefore you should pay royalties every time your phone rings. Apple was forced to abandon "Rip, Mix, Burn" for that very reason.

The bottom line is that it's no more legal to rip music CDs than it is to rip movie DVDs.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs