Apple Express/Extreme

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Henry Rhodes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Apple Express/Extreme

Post by Henry Rhodes » Wed May 18, 2011 8:32 pm

So, I decided to switch from the Wave Broadband bundle to Direct TV / Qwest bundle. So I want to use my own modem or router or whatever so I won't have to rent one. What do I want? I want to connect my iMac, my Sony Bravia, Panasonic Blue Ray DVD, AT&T cordless phones, my Sony Receiver/Tuner/Amplifier, my Wii, my Mac Pro laptop and my DVR. Do I want an Apple Express or an Apple Extreme?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Apple Express/Extreme

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed May 18, 2011 9:03 pm

Either AirPort, or a Time Capsule, can work as a base station, as can any Mac that you leave on and awake all the time. I'd also be interested to see what the SMUG brain trust comes up with as differences between these solutions, other than the obvious: the cost.

I am clueless about Direct TV / Qwest, but modern DSL modems all include wireless. There are differences, however. For example, an Apple TV can wake a Mac if the wireless LAN is based on an Apple base station, but not if it's based on a non-Apple base station such as a DSL modem.

There may also be differences in the strength of the wireless signal. I'm not sure, but it seems from my reading as if the AirPort base station does dual-band, while the AirPort express does not.

Of course, the receiving end makes a difference too. For example, our Apple TV can stream music from an upstairs iMac without a hitch, but a G4 PowerBook streaming from the same source exhibits annoying skips in the music stream.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed May 18, 2011 10:29 pm

Henry Rhodes wrote:So, I decided to switch from the Wave Broadband bundle to Direct TV / Qwest bundle. So I want to use my own modem or router or whatever so I won't have to rent one. What do I want? I want to connect my iMac, my Sony Bravia, Panasonic Blue Ray DVD, AT&T cordless phones, my Sony Receiver/Tuner/Amplifier, my Wii, my Mac Pro laptop and my DVR. Do I want an Apple Express or an Apple Extreme?
This is most confusing. You're switching from Wave Broadband to DirecTV. I assume you mean you've been getting your TV and I'Net access from Wave and will now receive your TV from DirecTV and your I'Net access from Qwest. Is that correct? If so, the DirecTV receiver will go to your TV. The Qwest DSL modem will handle your I'Net access. The Qwest modem used to come with a wireless option but cost a little more for the wireless capability. At least that's the way it was about 2.5 years ago when I got Qwest DSL service at my house. For all I know the newer Qwest modem comes with wireless, period. Qwest can clear that up for you. Your iThings will all accept the Qwest modem signal so an additional wireless router isn't necessary. Just get the Qwest modem with wireless capability.

That takes care of your TV and I'Net service. For the rest of your appliances:
1) BluRay DVD -- Connect it to your HDTV.
2) AT&T Cordless Phone -- Plug that into your wall phone jack just like you did before.
3) Sony Receiver/Tuner/Amplifier -- You can send the audio signal from the DirecTV receiver through the Sony.
4) Wii -- Connect it to your HDTV.
5) DVR -- Is this a free standing DVR? Get the DirecTV receiver with the built in DVR. It'll be easier and cheaper to use.

I don't understand why you think you need the Apple Extreme or Apple Express.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu May 19, 2011 6:15 am

Richard Serkes wrote: That takes care of your TV and I'Net service. For the rest of your appliances:
1) BluRay DVD -- Connect it to your HDTV.
2) AT&T Cordless Phone -- Plug that into your wall phone jack just like you did before.
3) Sony Receiver/Tuner/Amplifier -- You can send the audio signal from the DirecTV receiver through the Sony.
4) Wii -- Connect it to your HDTV.
5) DVR -- Is this a free standing DVR? Get the DirecTV receiver with the built in DVR. It'll be easier and cheaper to use.

I don't understand why you think you need the Apple Extreme or Apple Express.
Assuming Richard's analysis is correct, you'll need a couple extra hdmi cables. Costco has pairs of cables for a reasonable price.
If you get a Qwest DSL modem, Qwest will send it, and it'll have a wireless base station built in. But note that there are a couple of fine points that don't work with third-party wireless base stations. Apple TV (should you want to get one) can't wake a Mac. And an Apple AirPort Express cannot be used to extend the wireless range of a non-Apple base station. (You can use the Express to connect to a stereo, though.)

The cordeless phone base will need a DSL filter between it and the house's phone wiring. If it's convenient, you can plug it into the DSL modem, which has the filter built in. The modem will come with a couple of filters.

As to sending audio to the receiver, that'll work if it's convenient; you don't want wires trailing around. If it's not, you can use a set of high quality computer speakers for the TV, plugged into the earphone jack. Or get a home theater set with hdmi in for surround sound.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Henry Rhodes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Henry Rhodes » Thu May 19, 2011 10:39 am

Thank you for all the information but you did not answer my question. I understand that I can use an apple airport thing instead of a Qwest thing and not pay rent for the the Qwest DSL modem or whatever thing. Should I get an Airport Express or Airport Extreme? By the way, all my equipment is along one ten foot wall.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu May 19, 2011 10:49 am

Henry Rhodes wrote:Thank you for all the information but you did not answer my question. I understand that I can use an apple airport thing instead of a Qwest thing and not pay rent for the the Qwest DSL modem or whatever thing. Should I get an Airport Express or Airport Extreme? By the way, all my equipment is along one ten foot wall.
I guess I didn't answer your question because your question was unclear. You have the option of buying or leasing the modem from Qwest. Buy it! The payout will be less than one year and after that you'll save money. Like most electronics these days if they fail they fail immediately so should you get a bad modem from Qwest you'll know right away while it's still under the manufacturer's warranty. Just specify to Qwest that you want the modem with the wireless option. The Qwest wireless modem also has an ethernet port on the back should you need to make an ethernet connection for some reason.

You don't have the option of bypassing (i.e., not using) the Qwest modem. The signal will come in through your phone line to the modem. Then the modem can be your wireless connection or you can spend extra money and send the signal to the Apple Extreme or Apple Express.

Since you seem to be asking how to connect to the I'Net using the Qwest DSL modem the answer is... You don't need to buy either the Apple Express or the Apple Extreme. The Qwest DSL modem will handle your wireless needs.

If you need help hooking things up you can let Qwest do it for a fee. Better yet you could hire David Hannon to come to your house and get you up and running.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Thu May 19, 2011 12:01 pm

Curious as to why you switched to Qwest from Wave and what download speed you chose with Qwest?
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.