App Store Update Frozen

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

App Store Update Frozen

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:35 pm

On my iPad with the most current version of iOS I have a red number one on the App Store icon. Opening the App Store it shows there's an update for some app. It when I tap the UPDATE button (bottom/right) nothing happens. The little thingamajig by the WiFi icon spins telling me that I'm connecting to the App Store but no apps appear for updating.

I've closed and reopened the App Store with no success. I've looked at other areas in the App Store and then gone back to UPDATE with no success. I've even closed all apps, and done a hard boot which also didn't fix things. Actually, I tried the hard boot trick twice...neither attempt fixed the App Store problem.

So either I really don't have an update and the App Store is confused of I do have an update and the App Store is confused. How do I get the update notification to go away?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: App Store Update Frozen

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:09 am

I think I saw the same thing last night. The two apps I had for updating both required many minutes of downloading, one close to an hour. Downloading on my Mac worked fine, and syncing from the iPad wirelessly worked fine too.

I suspect there may have been a problem with the App Store app refreshing its screen slowly.

After my updates completed, App Store still shows nothing in the update screen. It's just blank.

This apparently goes back a while, and is occurring to some people on iPhones and iPads:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/47 ... 0&tstart=0
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:46 am

I saw it last night, too. I haven't had time to try it this morning.
Rick

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:17 am

As of this morning I have two updates but nothing in the App Store window on my iPad. I found several solutions on the I'Net all of which I had tried and none had worked (at least for me). The one that sounded the most promising was to use the data cable to hook up the iPad to my iMac and SYNC though the iTunes Store on my iMac. I just tried and it didn't work. I still have a red icon telling me I have two updates but nothing is showing in the App Store window.

Since it's not me...others are reporting the same problem...I'm guessing that Apple knows about it and is working on it. I hate to call AppleCare.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:09 am

For me, downloading and syncing removed the number icon from the app store in the iPad, at least.

I checked apps in iTunes on my Mac (I believe it checks all apps, irrespective of what tab you have selected). I downloaded the two apps indicated. Finally, I used WiFi syncing on the iPad (just turned out to be convenient). That all effectively updated the apps and cleared the updates-waiting indicator.

This seems to me like a server issue on Apple's end. It seems as if the graphic part of the updates window just isn't working. Everything else seems to be working fine.

I'm sure it'll all go away soon. "La, la, la..."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:34 pm

Finally! I was able to connect to the App Store and the two apps displayed in the window. Right now they're in the process of downloading and installing.

As the saying goes, ka ka happens.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:19 pm

You're on top of it, Richard.
Both my iPhone and iPad now show "No Updates Available," whereas before the Update window was just blank.
Steve Jobs