Thinking about an iPad

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Thinking about an iPad

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Jay Cline wrote:For me the iPad is only useful when I want an iPhone with a larger screen because to me that's what an iPad is, a large iPhone.
I retract my snarky comment on Jay's comment:
Phone. Yes, you can make phone calls to actual land lines directly from your iPad, and even use a Bluetooth headset while you are on the call. Talkatone (Free, Universal) from TalkMe.IM can actually place calls from your iPad using Google’s free Voice service. You can receive calls, access voice mail and even send SMS text messages. It’s like having a real phone on your iPad.
http://gigaom.com/2012/03/20/finding-th ... sing-apps/

It even looks like the phone app on iPhone. I haven't tried it, but may.

Of course there is the caveat that Google's business model is to monitor everything you do an sell what they learn to advertisers. OTOH, my son Robbie uses Google Voice, so maybe Google's already mining me and mine for all we're worth.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:01 pm

Also, I want to add this:

It might well be obvious to those of you young folks who are closer to the bleeding edge than I, but I'm amazed about how much difference there is between an iPhone (5, in my case) and an iPad (retina, in my case). Making stuff bigger is a very big deal.

This is especially notable when any text entry is involved, and in looking at web sites.

And I'm not even talking about iBooks or apps that work only on iPads, which, in my experience, are like magic.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:03 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:So the retina version (or images or whatever) for that book downloaded overnight, apparently even when the iPad was "asleep."

I have another app, Turning the Pages, from the National Library of Medicine, that downloads individual books internally. It's reporting a failed connection on all but one, which I suspect was smaller.
I went down to NOLS this afternoon, and all the books downloaded individually OK. There were some hiccups with the NLM server (which might not be quite up to the task) but in the end, I got them all, and the rate of download at NOLS was dramatically faster than at home (Nominal CenturyLink DSL + whatever WiFi speed the ZyXEL PK5000Z modem delivers).

Hurray for public libraries!
Steve Jobs