Surplus Mails

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Henry Rhodes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Surplus Mails

Post by Henry Rhodes » Fri May 13, 2011 1:02 pm

So like I get three (3) of the same incoming message, each one to a different one of my three (3) addresses. I want to stop getting incoming messages FROM two of those addresses TO only one of my addresses. What's the best way do do that? If I junk one incoming message will 'Mail' junk ALL messages FROM that address? Must I unsubscribe from two incoming? That takes too long. I have a lot of messages to do. Is there a most efficient way to do all this?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Surplus Mails

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri May 13, 2011 1:55 pm

I had that problem with ads from Apple. I didn't have anything against the ads, but I didn't need to get the same ad at three different addresses. So I carefully unsubscribed for two addresses. Problem solved.

In general, if the e-mail is legitimate, unsubscribing is the best way to deal with unwanted e-mail. Take some care to be sure you're unsubscribing and not adding subscriptions. Some of the sites aren't that clear. But, in general, I've found recently that most legit businesses are using some sort of safe, foolproof unsubscribe site. They don't want to irritate you.

If you have a lot of these legit sites to deal with, just to a few at a time.

Note that there are some e-mails that superficially look legit but aren't. These may copy an e-mail from a real company. So look carefully before you click. If you see anything off--bad grammar, poor punctuation and misspelled words are the two biggest tipoffs--treat it like bad spam. You can also hover over any link and see the real URL in the status bar at the bottom of the window.
Some companies are really prone to spoofing like this. PayPal is far and away the champion. I get several fake PayPal e-mails every quarter. I've never gotten a fake Lands' End e-mail.

On the other hand, if the unwanted mail is real spam, don't ever click on any links in the message. Just flag them as Junk in Mail or set a rule to immediately delete them, or, better yet, set them as spam at your ISP so you never even see them. The really bad spam seems to be way down recently (knock on wood).
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs