Music Notation Application

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: Music Notation Application

Post by rickj » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:22 pm

Kirsten Ruhl wrote:Stephen,

I'll give you an immediate (maybe temporary) report.
I am not frustrated, but I could be.
There is of course a learning curve - sigh...
I have put it aside while I contemplate this: Maybe my best bet is to invest the time in practicing - to the point where it won't matter much how well I can quickly read the part... :lol:

Five hours later I am editing this temporary report to my final one:
This program is far too unintuitive for me. I cannot befriend it.

So, I am going to my final solution:
Practice enough that I am totally clear on what I am doing - that's my best return on time investment.
Besides that, it feels doable...
You might want to look at GarageBand. You probably already have it installed. Outside of the fact that you have to create something called a region before you can start drawing in notes, it's pretty easy to figure out and use.

If you decide to try it, post here if you have any questions and I can probably answer them.

Here is a sample of a printed piano part from GarageBand-
notation.jpg
notation.jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 777 times
Rick

BarbJ
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by BarbJ » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Jerry, I could do it this November if the general membership of the club was interested. But judging from the attendance when the writer of the software NoteAbilityPro (Keith Hamel, a Phd from UBC) came to speak, I don't think that most people in our club are interested in scoring music, let alone even reading it. There were only about a dozen members at that meeting. Maybe you could post a signup sheet and I could meet with a special interest group next fall, instead of the full club. We could probably meet in someone's living room.

BarbJ
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by BarbJ » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Rick, I only know the bare minimum that is necessary to get what is in my brain out onto a music sheet and into a listenable orchestrated form. Can you fact check my assumptions about GarageBand? I believe GarageBand only gives you 10 time signatures to choose from, you can only print out one track (two clefs) at a time because your display is limited to one treble and one bass staff, and you cannot indicate crescendos, repeats, glissandi and other symbols, or enter lyrics into your final score. Those things might not be a concern for Kirsten. If she intends to make music a lifelong pursuit though, the Example Scores and Tutorials contained in NoteAbility Pro are well worth the price of the software. I'm not selling the software, I just use it and I use GarageBand too. Look up Keith Hamel on Wikipedia and you will see why it just floored me that only a dozen or so people showed up at the meeting where he was the speaker.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by rickj » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:02 pm

BarbJ wrote:Rick, I only know the bare minimum that is necessary to get what is in my brain out onto a music sheet and into a listenable orchestrated form. Can you fact check my assumptions about GarageBand? I believe GarageBand only gives you 10 time signatures to choose from, you can only print out one track (two clefs) at a time because your display is limited to one treble and one bass staff, and you cannot indicate crescendos, repeats, glissandi and other symbols, or enter lyrics into your final score. Those things might not be a concern for Kirsten. If she intends to make music a lifelong pursuit though, the Example Scores and Tutorials contained in NoteAbility Pro are well worth the price of the software. I'm not selling the software, I just use it and I use GarageBand too. Look up Keith Hamel on Wikipedia and you will see why it just floored me that only a dozen or so people showed up at the meeting where he was the speaker.
I'm pretty sure all your assumptions about Garage Band are correct. But for the purposes of easily getting a basic piano score on paper with little learning curve, it fits the bill. That's what I assumed Kirsten wanted to do, although reading back through the thread, I see that she never actually mentioned the piano. Still, for printing out a single instrument, it should do what she wants.

You rarely hear "simple" and "full featured" in the same sentence, especially when discussing music notation software. To do anything even slightly complex, you would need something more heavy duty than GarageBand.
Rick

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:10 pm

Why not go old school?
Attachments
image.axd.jpeg
image.axd.jpeg (133.8 KiB) Viewed 769 times
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.