I want my own cloud!

Discussion of issues related to iCloud, Apple's "cloud" service designed to store and sync your music, photos, apps, calendars, and documents
KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

I want my own cloud!

Post by KarenColes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:38 pm

I recently got a new MacBook Air, and the iCloud Account details show my Apple ID as an @icloud.com account. At about the same time, my husband got a new iPad, and I inherited his old one (the original iPad 1.) We would like our clouds to be totally separate. It seems that to do this, I should be able to just change the Apple ID on the old iPad to the @icloud.com shown on my new Air. But when I go to the iCloud Account Information on the iPad, I'm not able to change the Apple ID there, which is our shared e-mail address.

What do we need to do to keep our accounts separate so that I don't get his stuff from the cloud, and he doesn't get mine.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: I want my own cloud!

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 pm

In Settings go to Mail, Contacts, Calendars then iCloud. At the bottom you'll see a big red bar that says DELETE ACCOUNT. Delete your husband's account and then create your own.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:09 am

Thanks! I thought that might be the solution, but I wasn't sure. I was afraid that if I did it, that I might lose some of my ongoing games that are underway.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:20 am

KarenColes wrote:Thanks! I thought that might be the solution, but I wasn't sure. I was afraid that if I did it, that I might lose some of my ongoing games that are underway.
I'm not sure about ongoing games, but it shouldn't be a problem. Everything that has happened on your account will continue over to your account on the iPad.

When I bought a new iPad and gave my old one to my wife this is what I did and everything seemed to work just fine. I had to download some of her games that weren't on it but then she just picked up where she left off.
---

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:01 am

KarenColes wrote:I was afraid that if I did it, that I might lose some of my ongoing games that are underway.
Once you switch to your own Apple ID, I believe that you will, however, lose access to any updates that become available ... since your existing apps were purchased using your husband's Apple ID.

You could, of course, switch back to your husband's Apple ID to get those updates, or re-purchase them using your new Apple ID ... and that installation may (or may not) lose game data.
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Ray Bentsen wrote:
KarenColes wrote:I was afraid that if I did it, that I might lose some of my ongoing games that are underway.
Once you switch to your own Apple ID, I believe that you will, however, lose access to any updates that become available ... since your existing apps were purchased using your husband's Apple ID.

You could, of course, switch back to your husband's Apple ID to get those updates, or re-purchase them using your new Apple ID ... and that installation may (or may not) lose game data.
That hasn't been an issue on my wife's iPad. When she wants new apps or upgrades to existing apps she just uses my AppleID. I think this is because the iPad is still registered to me. My iCloud account was deleted and a new one in her name was added but it's still my iPad.

If the OP deletes her husband's account and puts in hers the iPad is still registered (with Apple) in his name so all the apps he bought should still be available to her.
---

KarenColes
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by KarenColes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:45 am

Success! Thanks!

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:33 pm

Now, we can't close out this thread without The Rolling Stones:
I said, Hey! You! Get off of my cloud

Hey! You! Get off of my cloud
Hey! You! Get off of my cloud

Don't hang around 'cause two's a crowd 
on my cloud baby
http://www.rollingstones.com/release/de ... verybodys/
(Track 7)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:45 pm

No, we can't close this thread without The Average White Band:
Attachments
cloudy.jpg
cloudy.jpg (314.67 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
---

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:23 pm

By the way, switching from one Apple ID to another on an iPad is done in a very obscure way ... not in Settings but from within the App Store app.

In App Store, tap the Featured tab at the bottom of the screen, then scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see an Apple ID button.

Tap that button, and a menu of options will appear (see screenshot) ... one of which is sign out.

If you sign out, you can then sign in using a different Apple ID for purposes of updating apps.

Note that each purchased app has the purchaser's Apple ID embedded, so to update an app you must be using the same Apple ID as when it was originally bought.

;)
Attachments
Sign Out.jpg
Sign Out.jpg (215.34 KiB) Viewed 3169 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.