Ipad 2 and 3 Facetime problem DNS?

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
charlie57
Forum Member
Forum Member

Ipad 2 and 3 Facetime problem DNS?

Post by charlie57 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:43 am

I tried to use Facetime on my ipad 2 for the first time.My wife has an ipad 3 and she has never use Facetime either. We made sure that both Ipads had Facetime enabled in settings, and have valid Apple login accounts that are enabled.Long story short, it didn't connect and only one ipad rings.The dns settings at home where we tried this start with 192, I did some research and this is one that has some kind if double incription whatchamacallit. I saw on forums that many ipad users have the same problem, and that changing DNS to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.8.4 which is google open solves the problem.I haven't tried this yet, because I don't know if this will cause security or other related issues.Has anyone done this and have any feedback before I take the DNV change plunge? Thanks in advance for any advice, and keep in mind I am a new ipad user so don't get toooo technical please. Charlie :) P.S. I know we can try at a public wifi spot to isolate this issue.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Ipad 2 and 3 Facetime problem DNS?

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 am

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but on a local area network, such as wired ethernet or wireless, IP numbers are in the format

DSL modem/router 192.168.0.1 (This is generally reserved for the router)
G4 PowerBook 192.168.0.2
G5 192.168.0.3

If you have IPs assigned, each device must have a unique number.

There are iOS apps that can give you information about a network.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

charlie57
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by charlie57 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:I'm not sure if this is relevant, but on a local area network, such as wired ethernet or wireless, IP numbers are in the format

DSL modem/router 192.168.0.1 (This is generally reserved for the router)
G4 PowerBook 192.168.0.2
G5 192.168.0.3

If you have IPs assigned, each device must have a unique number.

There are iOS apps that can give you information about a network.
Thanks this helped in a roundabout way, it now works. I appreciate the help Stephen.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:52 pm

charlie57 wrote: Thanks this helped in a roundabout way, it now works. I appreciate the help Stephen.
It might help someone else if you can detail what you did to solve the problem.
Steve Jobs

charlie57
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by charlie57 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:33 am

Stephen Hart wrote:
charlie57 wrote: Thanks this helped in a roundabout way, it now works. I appreciate the help Stephen.
It might help someone else if you can detail what you did to solve the problem.
Here's how to change your iPad's DNS servers:
1.From the iPad's home screen, tap Settings.
2.Tap General on the sidebar
3.Tap Network. The screen shown below appears.
4.Tap Wi-Fi. The available wireless networks in range of your iPad appear
5.Find your wireless network in the list, and then click the arrow.
6.Tap the DNS field.
7.Delete the current DNS servers, and enter the new DNS servers. (If you enter more than one DNS server, be sure sure to separate the servers with commas.) To use OpenDNS, enter 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
To use Google DNS, enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I used the Google settings and it worked like a charm, I only changed one ipads DNS settings. This has worked for many with the same problem.
Be sure to write down your current DNS settings, before changing in the event you want to go back.
This also can speed up your browsing, because of less encrytpion, and layers to hurdle.
I hope this helps someone out there, it's a shame to have agreat feature like this and it not work. TTFN Charlie

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:46 am

Ah. OK, so these settings are for the server, not for the individual devices on your local area network. The numbers are similar, but in a different range. The 192. numbers I mentioned above are reserved for LANs, I think.
Steve Jobs

charlie57
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by charlie57 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:55 am

Stephen Hart wrote:Ah. OK, so these settings are for the server, not for the individual devices on your local area network. The numbers are similar, but in a different range. The 192. numbers I mentioned above are reserved for LANs, I think.
Yeah , I just saw that many people on the internet were having the same FaceTime problem that my wife and I were having. And this solved the problem for most. I fiqured that this was a simple fix, that could also make browsing a little faster. I was mulling over trying this(a little scared), and your reply tipped the scale and I tried it. Im not very tech savy, but i'm guessing that most home wireless lan's have the server built in.This is for individual devices, making it safe to try (at home) without messing up a your home network settings.