Can't See Mac Files In iCloud

Discussion of issues related to iCloud, Apple's "cloud" service designed to store and sync your music, photos, apps, calendars, and documents
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Can't See Mac Files In iCloud

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 pm

I understand that if I turn on the Documents & Data option in iOS 6 then any iWork files created on one iOS device will appear in all my iOS devices.

When I open an iWork application on my iMac I can see and use all the files in the iCloud but the files on my iMac are not available on my iOS devices. Is there a way to get access to my iMac files on an iOS device using the iCloud?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

rickj
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Re: Can't See Mac Files In iCloud

Post by rickj » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:I understand that if I turn on the Documents & Data option in iOS 6 then any iWork files created on one iOS device will appear in all my iOS devices.

When I open an iWork application on my iMac I can see and use all the files in the iCloud but the files on my iMac are not available on my iOS devices. Is there a way to get access to my iMac files on an iOS device using the iCloud?
You have to explicitly save the file to iCloud. I'm not in front of my Mac at the moment, but I think there is an iCloud / My Mac button in the Save As dialog.

I personally use this awsome technology to create a shopping list in Numbers using the checklist template. I save it to iCloud. When I get to the store, I open it in Numbers on my iPhone and check off items as I throw them into the cart. Even Captain Kirk couldn't do that.
Rick

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:25 pm

OK, that makes sense. But what about all the Pages and Numbers files I've already created on my Mac and that reside there? Is there an easy way to get them to the iCloud? I refuse to open them one at a time and then save them to the iCloud.

By the way, Captain Kirk never went shopping. That was Uhura's job.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:04 am

The way iCloud works is directly from within the application. So, as far as I can tell, you're stuck with having to open a document and then save it to iCloud.

There's another option: Dropbox.

You can move files to Dropbox on your Mac, then open them in Dropbox on your iPad for viewing. You can also choose an app to open the file in, for example, opening a Pages file in Pages.

Note that editing iWork files in iOS changes the format. You may lose some fonts, for example. You also lose any password protection.

It's been a long time since Apple updated iWork, but they don't appear to have abandoned the apps. So I expect some significant changes pretty soon now.

And, by the way, Reminders is excellent for shopping lists. We have separate ones for Safeway and Costco, for example, and can edit them from our phones or our Macs.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 am

Stephen Hart wrote:The way iCloud works is directly from within the application. So, as far as I can tell, you're stuck with having to open a document and then save it to iCloud.

There's another option: Dropbox.

You can move files to Dropbox on your Mac, then open them in Dropbox on your iPad for viewing. You can also choose an app to open the file in, for example, opening a Pages file in Pages.
Dropbox! Of course that would work and I use it all the time. I must have had a brain fart not to think of it but it still would be nice to be able to use iCloud. I wonder why there's no option to move existing files to the iCloud without opening them one at a time. Maybe the new version of iWork (when it's released) will address this issue. I'm not the only one with a large library of iWork files that was created before iCloud was made available to us.
---

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:29 am

If I understand the issue correctly, you should just be able to open a document from your Mac, go the File>Move to ... and then select iCloud.

;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:58 am

Ray Bentsen wrote:If I understand the issue correctly, you should just be able to open a document from your Mac, go the File>Move to ... and then select iCloud.

;)
Correct. But what I can't do now is open my iPad's version of Pages or Numbers and see all the files that reside on my Mac. I don't want to have to open each file and move it then repeat that process a gazillion times. There should be a batch process in which I can identify the files in Finder and then move them all at one time from my Mac to the iCloud.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 am

OK, so where I went wrong is to believe the first article I read on this question. What I didn't do is just look.

And, lo, there is a way to do exactly what you want, I think:

1. Click the dock icon for an app that supports documents in the cloud.
2. Click the iCloud icon in upper left corner of the open-document dialog box (which looks like a Finder window when you're seeing On My Mac).
3. Go hog wild.

Note that you're actually moving the file. If you duplicate files, you could have problems knowing which is the most current unless you rename them. It might be more convenient to have a subset of files you access from the cloud.
I think I've read that the OS secretly keeps a synced copy on your hard drive, so Time Machine will back it up. But I haven't double checked that.
Attachments
icld.jpg
icld.jpg (22.53 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:26 am

Bingo! That's it! But you left out a step. After opening the open-document window you have to go back to Finder, open the folder that contains the files you want to move and then Drag&Drop those files to the open-document window which has the designated iCloud option open.

This seems a bit cumbersome but it works. Thanks again.
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Just another observation. After moving the Pages and Numbers files to the iCloud they no long appeared in the Finder on my iMac. So I'm guessing that you don't have duplicate copies on your Mac and the iCloud, just one copy in the designated location.

So what happens if you need access to a file on the iCloud but you don't have an I'Net connection? I may have to rethink using the iCloud and reconsider an earlier suggestion about Dropbox. With Dropbox I know the files will be both on my iMac as well as the Dropbox server. I'll just lose the automatic sync of the iCloud and have to remember to manually update my Dropbox folder.
---