Apple TV

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Apple TV

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat May 07, 2011 12:33 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:I believe I read that Apple TV is supposed to wake a sleeping Mac to get shared iTunes content. That doesn't seem to happen for us. Any SMUG clues?
You will need to check the checkbox in the Energy Saver pane of System Prefs on your Mac labeled "Wake for Network Access". (see screenshot)
;)
Attachments
Wake.jpg
Wake.jpg (60.35 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat May 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:"Do enough members do presentations?" Just what planet are you living on? It's always been a problem getting people to volunteer to do demos.
No, I meant to ask if there enough SMUG members who would be interested in watching a panel on how to do presentations.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat May 07, 2011 1:02 pm

Ray Bentsen wrote:
Stephen Hart wrote:I believe I read that Apple TV is supposed to wake a sleeping Mac to get shared iTunes content. That doesn't seem to happen for us. Any SMUG clues?
You will need to check the checkbox in the Energy Saver pane of System Prefs on your Mac labeled "Wake for Network Access". (see screenshot)
;)
That's set right. I'll set up another Mac for home sharing and check it tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Later]

Here's some more I found on this issue.
First is a pretty complete-seeming Apple page:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774
That page says "Wake on Demand requires an Apple AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule with firmware 7.4.2 or later installed. To use Wake on Demand wirelessly with a WPA or WPA2 network, the AirPort base station or Time Capsule must be hosting the network (see below)."

Our wireless network is based on our DSL modem. I see no mention of Apple TV on that page at all. So maybe this won't work.

Second, I realized that my iMac had AirPort turned off (because it's wired by ethernet). I turned AirPort on and will see what happens.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat May 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
Richard Serkes wrote:"Do enough members do presentations?" Just what planet are you living on? It's always been a problem getting people to volunteer to do demos.
No, I meant to ask if there enough SMUG members who would be interested in watching a panel on how to do presentations.
A demo on how to create a demo. You really need to come down from that mountain now and then. Why don't we all just sit around and watch mud dry?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat May 07, 2011 3:13 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:A demo on how to create a demo. You really need to come down from that mountain now and then. Why don't we all just sit around and watch mud dry?
Are we having a hard day, Richard?
Steve Jobs

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Mon May 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:We just watched our first Netflix content on Apple TV on a new 32" flat-screen TV.
My impression is that the look and sound are better than on a MacBook Pro or a 27" iMac.

First of all, there was no rebufffering. We just started watching and it just kept going. With the MacBook Pro, which is what I usually use with Netflix streaming, I always have to wait through one full rebuffering.

The video looked really good.
I just watched my first Netflix streaming movie on my 36" flatscreen TV with NO Apple TV. I hooked the MacBook Pro to the TV's "RGB Port" and the audio to the adjacent audio in port. The streaming was as Stephen observes, flawless, high quality and razor sharp. It may be a pain to hook the computer directly to the TV each time but it wasn't a big deal. The thing I don't understand is the importance of the Apple TV device?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon May 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Also, some TVs have Netflix built in.

Our use is to get iTunes U (and other video lectures) on our TV. We can even get Karen lecturing to her classes, right in our living room!

Also, we can see our own photos on the TV, on the off chance we want to show them to someone.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat May 14, 2011 9:30 am

On a further test, we still can't wake a Mac with the Apple TV. I assume that this system requires an Apple AirPort base station, as stated in the Apple instructions I quoted above.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:00 pm

This post is just in the way of an advertisement for Apple TV.

A couple of days back our first opportunity arose to show slides to a visitor. My mother's mother was here, and we showed her photos from my son's wedding in St. Louis a year back. It worked great. The color was excellent, and our moderate 32" flat-screen TV was big enough.

The photos were all in my iPhoto library on my iMac. It just worked.

That one experience was probably worth the $99 cost.
Steve Jobs