iOS 6.0.1

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iOS 6.0.1

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:23 pm

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1606?view ... cale=en_US

Note that you can select Download Only in iTunes, then unplug your iPhone while the update downloads. On my nominal DSL, it's saying 2 hours.

[Later]
Oddly, just as my iTunes recognized my iPhone after it restarted after the update, iTunes told me there was an update available. I've never seen that glitch before.
Other than that, the update was uneventful.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iOS 6.0.1

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:36 pm

The iPhone 5 won't update wirelessly. It's a bug that will be fixed in 6.0.1. Ironically, you have to go to the App Store, download and install an installer that will let you download and install 6.0.1 wirelessly which as already stated contains the bug fix for iPhone 5's current inability to upgrade wirelessly.

Don't 'ya just love this stuff?

My mistake, go to Settings>>General>>Software Update to get the wireless updater that will then let you update wirelessly.

This is just for the new iPhone 5.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:49 am

I hadn't seen that anywhere. I have always updated by way of iTunes, and it takes so long with DSL that only 4G would be even reasonable, it seem, for a wireless update.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:04 am

Stephen Hart wrote:I hadn't seen that anywhere. I have always updated by way of iTunes, and it takes so long with DSL that only 4G would be even reasonable, it seem, for a wireless update.

There's an interesting article on Cult of Mac that discusses this. By wireless I didn't mean 3G or 4G. I meant using your home's WiFi rather than connecting to your Mac via the data cable and using iTunes. If you tried this using your iPhone's data plan via 3G or 4G it would cost you a fortune.

Again, let me emphasize that this quirk is applicable only to the newly released iPhone 5. All other Apple devices can use WiFi right now to upgrade the iOS.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:38 am

Yes, wifi would be better, but still awfully slow. Whenever I see the App Store app signaling app updates available, I get those with iTunes too.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:03 am

from today's Macintouch:

Dave Atkinson
Just updating to iOS 6.0.1, and noticed with amusement a few messages scrolling by on my Console messages:
11/1/12 3:07:24.421 PM iTunesHelper[233]: AMDeviceConnect (thread 0x7fff73610180): This is not the droid you're looking for (is actually com.apple.mobile.restored). Move along, move along.
11/1/12 3:07:24.426 PM iTunes[2318]: AMDeviceConnect (thread 0x113234000): This is not the droid you're looking for (is actually com.apple.mobile.restored). Move along, move along.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:39 am

I just happened to be at an Apple Store in Seattle so I used their WiFi to download and install 6.0.1. It took LESS than two minutes to download. In fact, the post-download verification, install, and reboot took a lot longer than the initial download.

This place has a wicked fast connection. Too bad we can't get this kind of speed on the North Olympic Peninsula.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:59 am

Richard Serkes wrote:This place has a wicked fast connection. Too bad we can't get this kind of speed on the North Olympic Peninsula.
Wifi in the Tacoma store wan't that hot. The genius mentioned that they'd been having slowdowns.

OTOH, the free wifi inside SeaTac was good. And the Verizon LTE was phenomenal, faster than the wifi and faster than my DSL at home.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:15 pm

BTW, I just downloaded the new version of Podcasts via wifi, and it went pretty quickly.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:15 am

Coincidentally, this issue has been discussed recently on Macintouch. Here's a full explanation of why your wifi-downloaded iOS update was so quick, while my iTunes-downloaded update was so slow:
David Empson
Stephen Spector wrote:
"Just downloading 6.0.1 ... it is 983 mb! Whatever happened to the idea of delta updates for IOS? What is even more frustrating is that I have to do it all over again for my iPad!"
This is correct if you are using iTunes to install new iOS versions. iTunes downloads a full image of the current iOS version for the device and keeps it until a new version is released. The full image is necessary to do a restore, and iTunes doesn't implement a separate mechanism to do a delta update of older firmware.
If you want to save time, disk space and download less data, there is an easy solution: provided your iOS device is already running iOS 5 or later, it can do over-the-air updates directly on the device, not involving iTunes (though it would still be wise to ensure you have a current backup). These are delta updates.
The iOS device must be on a WiFi network and should be plugged into a power source. Go to Settings > General > Software Update. This will check for a new iOS version and offer to download and install it.
The updates installed this way are much smaller than the full image iTunes uses. For an iPhone 5 and iOS 6.0.1, the image used by iTunes is 983 MB, while the over-the-air update is 67 MB (plus a 67 MB app which works around an iOS 6.0 bug on the iPhone 5 to allow it to do update the OS; this is not needed on other devices).
Note that if you use this method then need to restore the device later, iTunes will have to download the full firmware image anyway.
Steve Jobs