Curse You, CONOCO!

Discussion of issues related to iOS 8 and all earlier versions of iOS.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Curse You, CONOCO!

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:30 pm

If you watch video news stories on NBCNEWS.COM then you've already grown tired of the CONOCOPhillips ad that tells you what a wonderful company it is and how it's going to single handedly save the planet. You have to sit through this 30 second ad before watching your news story. A few nights ago I was reading a story when the audio portion of the ad started playing on my iPad 3. I quickly flipped the MUTE switch to turn off the sound and saw the bell icon with the slash through it. But the sound of the ad continued to play. How can this be? I had set my iPad to MUTE. Just to check I tried playing some NBCNEWS videos and got no sound as well as a couple of videos on YouTube and again got no sound. Weird!

Last night I was reading a novel on my iPad using the Kindle app and I heard the CONOCOPhillips ad start again. I quickly slid the MUTE button to OFF, saw the appropriate icon telling me the iPad was muted yet the sound continued. It's as if CONOCOPhillips has figured out a way to override the MUTE feature in a determined effort to convince me that CONOCOPhilips' efforts to be green is akin to the second coming.

Has anyone else had this happen? Anything similar? How could an ad override the MUTE button?

And if it means anything, this never happened before I upgraded to iOS 6.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Curse You, CONOCO!

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Secret brain implant?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Curse You, CONOCO!

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Brain? I have a brain? But seriously folks, there's a known bug with the MUTE switch and iOS 6 which causes the switch to act differently in different applications. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I imagine Apple will be issuing an update to iOS with a fix.

It's amazing what you can learn by doing a Google search.

And I guess I should apologize to CONOCOPhillips. It's not their fault.

Moderator's Note: This thread will be moved to the iOS 6 area as it's not an iPad issue per se.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.