iPhone5 Setup

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Ray Bentsen
Administrator

iPhone5 Setup

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:41 am

Well, UPS delivered my iPhone5 fifteen minutes ago and is now in the process of copying content from the iPhone4 iTunes backup.

The setup process was surprisingly simple, and truthfully the most difficult part of the whole process was getting the cellophane wrapper off of the box. I didn't even have to make a call to AT&T. All I had to do was turn on the phone, confirm that I wanted to use English as a language, and then connect to my wireless network.

The phone apparently then contacts AT&T to begin the activation, because it asked if I wanted to use the phone number used previously with my iPhone4. After saying yes, all I had to do was agree to the usual legal terms (which I presume included agreeing to a new two year contract).

I was then prompted to connect the included USB cable, and after doing so I was prompted to answer a few configuration questions, like the password for my iCloud account.

As of now, I am just waiting for apps to finish copying over to the phone.

Very Cool!! :P
Attachments
Homescreen.jpg
Homescreen.jpg (313.78 KiB) Viewed 601 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone5 Setup

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:32 pm

The setup process was surprisingly simple, and truthfully the most difficult part of the whole process was getting the cellophane wrapper off of the box.
I was particularly worried about damaging the jewel of a box. If you turn the box over, you can see the crack between the bottom and the top. A tiny knife slice along that crack does the job. (BTW, "cellophane" is so last century!)

Verizon requires that you call an automated number to verify your order. After that, it was all up to iTunes.

BTW, I'm very happy to have bought a 32 GB iPhone this time. Now I can sync all my podcasts without worrying about overloading my phone. The problem is that many are video only, and use up a ton of space. But in many of those, the video is of a professor standing at a lectern, so they work fine in a car without watching the monitor.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs