Family e-mail address from .Mac to iCloud

Discussion of issues related to iCloud, Apple's "cloud" service designed to store and sync your music, photos, apps, calendars, and documents
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Family e-mail address from .Mac to iCloud

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:24 pm

Here's a question I haven't found an answer to:

In the .Mac days, we had a family account. I had an e-mail address that I use some. My wife had one that she didn't use, but might want, as it's IMAP. This will become more important when she gets her iPhone this fall. (Our main accounts are POP accounts.)

We still want to share things like calendars, contacts and notes.

So how do I transition? Is it the best policy to set up a separate iCloud account for her to be used only with mail? If I do that, will there be a problem with having her using our shared account for syncing and iTunes? I see that Apple has instructions for having two Apple IDs for separate purposes.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Family e-mail address from .Mac to iCloud

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:32 pm

My initial thought is that all devices would share one iCloud account ... and thus would automatically share the same contacts, notes, and calendars.

You could each configure Mail on your individual devices (or logins) so that you would only get your own e-mails, with IMAP accounts syncing among Macs and iDevices (to whatever extent you want).

I actually have two Apple IDs ... one leftover from the days before .Mac (an iTools account), and another one that was forced on me with iCloud, since an iCloud account must be created with a username being an e-mail address, which in turn becomes an Apple ID. I just used my .Mac e-mail address to create my iCloud account. (see screenshot)

So, now all purchases of apps, music, and books require my old Apple ID, but access to iCloud uses my new Apple ID. It's a little confusing, but I deal with it.

Also note in the screenshot that multiple accounts can be used to provide data to Mail, Contacts, Notes, and Calendars. Possibly you could use that fact to your advantage.

:)
Attachments
Mail and Contacts.jpg
Mail and Contacts.jpg (122.81 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Family e-mail address from .Mac to iCloud

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:58 am

Here's a discussion that's on topic. It lists a couple of ways to have a second e-mail address.

1. You can merely add another iCloud account.
2. You can add an alias in iCloud, a second e-mail address within one account.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... s-in-ios-5
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs