Mac Book Pro suddenly won't communicate with printer

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Mac Book Pro suddenly won't communicate with printer

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun May 01, 2011 2:31 pm

"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Sun May 01, 2011 4:19 pm

Same old results.

I have just uploaded the original software disc for this ancient(?) Lexmark 4800 series. I will see what happens with that.

JerryFreilich
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by JerryFreilich » Sun May 01, 2011 6:07 pm

I would think that you do not want to use old drivers, old software, old disks from this printer. Macs are pretty all inclusive about support for older printers up until the point where they just simply don't work any more. And that can happen. But it sounds from what you're reporting as if the drivers are OK and they're part of the Mac OS. The issue seems to be communication somewhere along the way.

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Sun May 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Like I said earlier it doesn't sound like a driver issue. Just to satisfy my curiosity there is nothing in your print queue is there and printing isn't stopped? What model printer is it and are you printing through IP? Is the IP address of the printer static and what IP address did you ping?
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by jest2dogs » Sun May 01, 2011 9:08 pm

Stephen H., Jay, et al,

TaDa!

The "drastic" and somewhat scary measures suggested in Stephen's referred thread were the answer. I had great delight going to new places in this computer. Every time I use my wife's Mac I am am impressed with the intuitive and easy nature of navigation and execution compared to our PC (which by the way is showing me, as we speak, the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH. Ah, yet something else to delve into...).

I deleted the printers from the printing queue. Then I mercilessly deleted dozens of resources related to Lexmarks I had never heard of, models I will never own. Thrashing and trashing, joy bursting forth as I lightened the load on the computer circuits.

Once I had cleaned out the closet, I went to" support" at Lexmark and downloaded (for about the fourth time) the new driver (for my model X4875) and it works perfectly.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your time, interest and experience in helping this newbie through a hair pulling task. Not so bad once you get the hang of it (But I guess it must be a simile... almost but, not nearly, the same as a woman going through labor. Once the child is born, the excruciating pain of labor is but a memory in light of the fantastic end result.)

-Jesse

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun May 01, 2011 9:32 pm

This forum is great. Even when our members don't have the answer someone will do an extensive search and find it for you.

Now that you've discovered what a treasure this place is you can be an evangelist and convince others to participate not only here (online) but at our SMUG meetings.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.