Flat-Screen TV as Monitor

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Flat-Screen TV as Monitor

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks all for your suggestions.
We bought a 32" Sony today at Costco (fit our budget, viewing location, even current cart).
Everything just works, and I'm delighted that the TV remote also works with the Sony DVD player we also bought.
Furthermore, the sound output from the earphone-out port to our computer speakers on the current cart is plenty loud and dead silent when there's no source sound. (As opposed to the constant 60 Hz hum we used to have in the background.)

And, of course, the picture is brighter and much sharper.

I will build a new cart to fit the TV and the Logitech THX 200 watt speaker system my son left here when he moved to St. Louis for graduate school. We'll be rockin' then!

AppleTV is ordered, delivery next week.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Tell me you bought a real BluRay DVD player and not some oh-so-yesterday plain vanilla DVD player.

:o
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:24 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:Tell me you bought a real BluRay DVD player and not some oh-so-yesterday plain vanilla DVD player.

:o
Ayup! Given that it was Costco, and we can return anything for any reason, and we shop there weekly, we got an open-box Sony BluRay player for $30 off. It was a little dusty, but seems to work fine. It's half--or maybe 1/3--as thick as our old DVD player. What the heck, I may even order some BluRay discs from Netflix just to see what the dangblamed fuss is about.

All in all a good experience.

And I'm excited to get the Apple TV next week and check it out. I may buy a miniDisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter later if we see some reason to use a MacBookPro as input in addition to the Apple TV.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:37 pm

The BluRay player will take a standard DVD and perform some electronic voodoo to it so as to improve the video. Won't be as good as a BluRay disk but it will look better than playing a standard DVD in a regular player.

Watching a BluRay disk through a BluRay player on a HDTV will blow you away.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun May 01, 2011 4:55 pm

If I decide I need to connect our MacBook Pro to our HDTV (in a situation where Apple TV doesn't do the job), the Kanex cable is the item I'd buy:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4637ZM/A

Note that a lot of miniDisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters and cables are male mDP to female HDMI. That means you also need another maleHDMI-maleHDMI cable.
This one is male miniDisplayPort on one end, to fit your MacBook or MacBook Pro, and male HDMI on the other end, to fit your HDTV. It's 10 feet long, to fit your living room (at least my miniLR).

Note that I haven't bought this cable, so I haven't tested it. But Apple lists it on their web site, and all the other features seem right. It's also mostly black, whereas some cables are outrageous colors.

Also note that this is roughly half the price of an Apple TV.
Steve Jobs