iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation...copying question

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
rmarcus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation...copying question

Post by rmarcus » Wed May 30, 2012 5:06 pm

I have my iPod connected and have selected the tunes I want to transfer. I click autofill and it appeared to sync.
When I look at the list of songs on the iPod, some are missing. I returned to "Music" in the iTunes library, and according to the Shuffle 2 handbook, it says I can click and drag individual tunes to the iPod. Tried to do that, and on more than one I get this message (with the name of the tune being whatever the tune is): "The Rose (LP Version)" was not copied to the iPod because you are not authorized for it on this computer."

What does this message mean? That song is in my iTunes menu. I legally purchased it from the iTunes store. It's the same with other individual songs that I purchased. I get the same message.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPod Shuffle 2nd Generation...copying question

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed May 30, 2012 5:20 pm

First, remember that "autofill" randomly picks songs from your Music collection to fill up your iPod.

Now, as to the issue of "not authorized," I've seen this when I'm logged in to the iTunes Store as a different user than normal.

For example, both my son Robbie and his wife, Elsa, have used my iMac to access iTunes in the past. I may have songs in the iTunes library that are licensed to them, but not to me. So if I'm logged in to the iTunes Store as me (as I usually am), I may not be able to copy those songs.
Attachments
login.gif
login.gif (14.75 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

rmarcus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by rmarcus » Wed May 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Thanks, Stephen. I was using the feature "sync only checked songs", so it did transfer most of the songs, but there were a few that didn't transfer. I'm still baffled, but I went into "my account" at the iTunes Store and took a look at "Manage Devices" It says that a specific computer can be associated with a certain Apple ID and that computer name associated with the Apple ID for downloads is called MARCUS_MAC. Then I went to system preferences and under "Accounts", I see "My Account" (Ruth) and "Other Accounts" (MARCUS_MAC). Both have "Admin" listed under each name. I inherited this iMAC two years ago and originally, I remember changing my brother's computer name to the MARCUS_MAC. Then, for some other reason, Apple suggested I create a separate account (probably because I wasn't ready to delete the stuff that was my brother's stuff). So, the "Ruth" account was created. Since iTunes is showing MARCUS_MAC, I assume that's the problem because I use the "Ruth" account on my MAC.

Before I go and change anything, do you agree that that's probably the issue, and if I change the computer associated with the Apple ID listed through iTunes, I should be able to download the music? Or do you think that I purchased the music using MARCUS_MAC and there would be no way I could download if I switch the account to "Ruth"?

Again, thank you, for your help.

rmarcus
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by rmarcus » Wed May 30, 2012 6:40 pm

Okay...in the process of figuring it out, I came across the feature "Home Sharing" in iTunes. I signed up with the iStore, and after setting up preferences to "share entire library", I solved the problem. Voila! That little "Home Sharing" feature is a great thing to know about. You can share up to five devices. Cool, eh?

Again thank you.