Pairing keyboard to iPad

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
errolloving
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Pairing keyboard to iPad

Post by errolloving » Tue May 22, 2012 10:48 am

Purchased a keyboard folder for my new iPad. Can't pair it. it wants to pair to my iMac. And when I turn iMac off it just searches for device--blue tooth is on on the iPad????

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Pairing keyboard to iPad

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue May 22, 2012 1:05 pm

There are several clear articles and videos on the web you'll find if you search for "pairing a keyboard to iPad."
Here are a couple from Apple:
http://store.apple.com/us/question/answ ... U2CPPUCU2C
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4111?view ... cale=en_US

The trick appears to be that you need the keyboard to be discoverable, and that requires turning it off first.
First turn off the keyboard: hold down the power button on the keyboard (on the end of the battery tube near the upper left corner) until the light goes out.
Next, turn BlueTooth on in iPad settings.
Now turn the keyboard on by pressing the power button once. The little light will come on and the keyboard should then show up in the iPad BlueTooth settings.

This worked for me and my iPhone, even though the keyboard was paired with my iMac.
Attachments
btkey.jpg
btkey.jpg (26.22 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

errolloving
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by errolloving » Tue May 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Thanks much for the tips--I actually just made the pairing WORK by carefully reading the instructions--don't you hate it when that happens? I thought it was a "and/or" step, and it was a both. I'm in business now---thanksfor your effots and quick response.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue May 22, 2012 3:06 pm

By the way, I think the entry CAR M-MEDIA shown in the screenshot I posted is the radio in my wife's 2011 Subaru Impreza. I've set it up with BlueTooth in the past just to test it out.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue May 22, 2012 10:41 pm

When you want to pair a keyboard to an iPad it's a lot easier if you go to a room that doesn't house your iMac. BluTooth has a very limited range for obvious reasons but if you try to pair a keyboard to an iPad in the same room as your iMac then there's going to be a conflict when the keyboard recognizes both devices. This is assuming the BluTooth option is ON on your iMac.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

errolloving
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by errolloving » Wed May 23, 2012 1:41 pm

good info--and thanks--I finally figured out how to get it done--a light that is also a button--hmmmmm amazing how things work when you do it right.