Playing Video Podcasts on the New iPad

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
riverkeeper
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Playing Video Podcasts on the New iPad

Post by riverkeeper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:36 am

The problem is downloading so that the VIDEO podcasts can be played WITHOUT connection to the Apple Store or even a WiFi connection. Example in use is on trips... we want the ability to download daily news video podcasts thru a wifi source then watch later when desired ..... like on our dinosaury laptop.

We've learned to use most of our critical iPad features which are, IMO, not quite as natural as hoped but we are very happy with it.
If you think the price of being well informed and educated is high, try ignorance.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Playing Video Podcasts on the New iPad

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:01 pm

Video podcasts should download to iTunes, then be transferred to the iPad when you sync. Those are actual files, not streams, which is why they take so long to download. Examples: TEDTalks HD. If that's not working, or if there's a particular video podcast you are writing about, let us know.

Video from web sites may well be streaming only. In some cases, there's a download link on the page, but often there isn't. If you really want to get such a video (or audio) stream as a file, you can play it in real time and record as it plays. For video, I recommend SnapzPro X with movie. It's not free, but is an excellent all-purpose screen capture utility (video with audio and still). (Even Snapz can't capture DVDPlayer in Lion, as Apple added more protection against such capture, but Handbrake can rip commercial DVDs.)

In any case, video will take up some space on your iPad, so there's a limit. It's also possible to compress a video more than it was originally, so you can store more on the iPad, but that's a little more advanced.

Does that help?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

riverkeeper
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by riverkeeper » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks Stephen. It will take about a day to get fully on to this. We want to download directly to the ipad via wifi if possible.....want to leave the laptop at home.

My wife is virtually addicted to MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, who is not available on TV virtually anywhere we travel. Her M-F podcasts, both audio and video, do download on the ipad and can be played if and only if (it appears) when wifi is engaged. Status at the podcast site is 'Downloaded'. Our iPad has max storage to deal with these kind of unforeseen circumstances and other uses which will take room.

Subscription does not appear to work in that ea day we must go thru the location and download hoops again.

SnapzProX wii be looked into....sounds good and flexible.

Will try tonight and let you know.

I need 'The Missing Manual'.
If you think the price of being well informed and educated is high, try ignorance.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Maybe someone who downloads podcasts to an iDevice can weigh in. I always use iTunes on my Mac.

I'm testing as we speak. I'll download one show and then turn off wifi and see if it still works. I don't see why it wouldn't.

[time passes]

OK, so I did two tests:
1. Downloaded a Rachel Maddow show on my iPhone (via WiFi).
2. Set a TED Talk already on my Mac to sync.
3. Switched on Airplane Mode (WiFi and 3G both off).

Both played fine on my iPhone.

So it seems to me that you shouldn't have any trouble downloading video podcasts when you're at a WiFi hotspot and then watching them later when you're out of range. Also, you can download to your Mac at home and preload your iPad for later.

I don't know about the subscription issue. I've had repeated problems with subscription on my Mac to CBC's Quirks & Quarks. Other podcast subscriptions work fine. But on the Mac, you merely need to click the Refresh button in iTunes to get the latest episodes of all podcasts. Something similar must be available on the iPad.

Also, there may be a way to carry even more videos on a pocket-sized hard drive or a large camera card and then copy them to the iPad. I'll leave that to others.

(Also, the Rachel Maddow video synced from my iPhone to my Mac automatically.)
Steve Jobs

riverkeeper
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by riverkeeper » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:38 pm

Tonight I found the answer on page 244 of the kindle Missing Manual for iPad 2.

The Video application will take care of business once the podcast is downloaded from the store.

EDIT
I had the mistaken mindset that iTunes on the iPad was a full-service software like on Big Macs. As always, thank you Stephen for your help.
Last edited by riverkeeper on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:17 am

riverkeeper wrote:The Video application will take care of business once the podcast is downloaded from the store.
Ah, yes. I noticed that as well. It *is* a little strange to get a podcast from within the Music app and then have to watch it from the Video app.
Steve Jobs

riverkeeper
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by riverkeeper » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Discovered this also works just fine on the iPOD Touch and as Stephen mentioned with the iPhone.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:57 am

Here's a post from Macintouch that might be relevant for folks traveling with just an iPad:

Bob Drake
For extra iPad storage of video, music, photos and documents, check out the Kingston Wi-Drive. You load the Wi-Drive up with non-DRM content (mine is the 16GB model) and then connect your iPad/iPod touch/iPhone -- using a free app -- to it over Wi-Fi ("Wi-Drive"). From there you can bridge to your Wi-Fi network (as long as the name is broadcast). You can also set passwords and security. The app and firmware was just updated yesterday, adding features, so development is active. Three devices can connect to the Wi-Drive simultaneously. Great build quality. Thin. And the price of the 16GB is great on Amazon. Kingston mentions a 64GB. The biggest on Amazon is 32GB.
(You can, according to the manual, access DRM materials using the Safari browser and the IP address of the Wi-Drive. I have not done this.)
Steve Jobs