music transfer from iPod Touch to iPhone 4

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
georgeandjolie
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

music transfer from iPod Touch to iPhone 4

Post by georgeandjolie » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:32 am

Friend and prospective member has a question and cannot post due to registering etc.
This is it: "I want to transfer my music from iPod Touch to my iPhone 4.
How do I go about this? Do I have to use my Mac?"
Please help.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: music transfer from iPod Touch to iPhone 4

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:04 pm

iPods and iPod apps in both the Touch and iPhone are, by design, one-way machines, Mac to device via iTunes. But... (You knew there were going to be buts, right?)

iTunes will copy newly downloaded music or apps from the iPhone to the Mac during a sync. And if you erase a purchased item from the iOS device, then sync, iTunes will ask if you want to copy it from the iOS device to the Mac.

And there is software specifically designed to download most, if not all, data from an iPhone.
http://www.fadingred.com/senuti/ for example.

Unless something went wrong, the easiest way to do this is to just plug the iPhone into the Mac and go through the various preference panes shown when you select the iPhone and then let it sync. If you've purchased songs on the iPod Touch that aren't on the Mac yet, they will be copied if you sync that device first.

If, however, some of the music was lost from the Mac for some reason, you'll need something like Senuti.

Why all of this hassle? Because the recording industry doesn't want people to sit down at a Mac and copy off all the music all of their friends have purchased. Apple complied.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

georgeandjolie
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by georgeandjolie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:18 am

Thank you Stephen.
I tried to sync the iPod Touch with iTunes on his Mac but when I checked the "library", there was nothing added, nor was any of his iTouch music on a "playlist".
None of his music was purchased from the iTunes Store. Could this be the hang-up?
In any case, this friend will be at the Tech Fair Saturday. Maybe someone there at the Apple Table can offer ideas. Will you be there? And if so, when?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Let's see if this step-by-step will help. In general:

Plug the iDevice into the Mac with the USB cord. (iOS 5 can sync wirelessly, but try the wired method first if troubleshooting.)

A sync may start automatically. You'd see this in the space at the top of the iTunes window.

Now look in the sidebar on the left. You'll see the iDevice listed. Click once to select it.

Now you'll see a list of tabs in the big space to the right. You can click on each category to determine what is synced and what isn't.
If you haven't selected any playlists, they won't be synced to the iDevice.

Let us know how it works out.
Attachments
sync.jpg
sync.jpg (6.18 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
list.jpg
list.jpg (18.44 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
tabs.jpg
tabs.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 1085 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

georgeandjolie
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by georgeandjolie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:03 pm

Thanks Stephen. End result is that a 3rd party program will be purchased to transfer as the music was not purchased from iTunes.
You are always willing to help out and that is much appreciated.
George