Grab a Movie Frame

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Grab a Movie Frame

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:23 am

One of the commonest things I do with movies is to make a still image from somewhere in the movie.
There are even cases where I want to make a screenshot on my Mac, and can't do it with a still screenshot. I can use SnapzProX (with movie) to capture a whole sequence, then extract a single frame from the resulting movie.
Sometimes there's a frame from a movie that would make an OK still. In fact, I did exactly this for a wedding book printed from iPhoto. There was one trip some of the wedding party took where I forgot my camera. I took short movies using an iPod nano (the older version with a movie camera). I was able to extract several stills, and by keeping their size small on the page, they printed pretty well (see image).

• In QuickTime Player 7 Pro (which still works in Snow Leopard), you can use the File > Export menu to export a still. Unfortunately it's a PICT image. I use Graphic Converter to change that to the format I want for use in Photoshop. That's kind of a lot of hassle.

• In QuickTime Player X, you will need to do a screenshot of the frame you want. Command-click the movie to remove the titlebar, cursor and controller. Hit Cmd-Shift-4 and the spacebar to turn the cursor into a window-capture camera. The result will be in the graphic format you have chosen. Unfortunately, this produces an image with an ugly black, round-cornered border.

* This can also be done in iMovie, but I understand the procedure differs with different versions.

Here's a Macworld UK article on this topic:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/m ... id=3266768

This article mentions one iPhone app that will do single-frame extractions on the iPhone itself. Here's another one that got better ratings:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/videopix ... 50641?mt=8
It also nicely explains the resolution difference between stills and movie frames.
Attachments
page.jpg
page.jpg (47.77 KiB) Viewed 1193 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs