emailing "Pages" document to "Windows" user

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
georgeandjolie
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

emailing "Pages" document to "Windows" user

Post by georgeandjolie » Wed May 04, 2011 8:27 am

I would like to know if I can change a document already created in "Pages" to email to a "Windows" user (must have doc. extension) and send it via my Yahoo account. I followed the Pages tutorial this morning and sent it via iWork.com; don't know yet if it worked. Also, I noticed that paid subscriptions to iWork were displayed as I was going through the process. Is this something I will have to pay for in the future?
Any information or ideas will be appreciated!
Jolie Will

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: emailing "Pages" document to "Windows" user

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed May 04, 2011 8:39 am

After you create your Pages document, use the drop down menu FILE-->EXPORT and save it as a Word document (.doc). I save things like this to my desktop.

Then simply attach the .doc file to an email and send it to him.

Why use iWork? That's unnecessarily complicated.
Attachments
word.jpg
word.jpg (27.68 KiB) Viewed 969 times
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed May 04, 2011 8:52 am

The procedure Richard details is the proper one for converting to a .doc file from Page.
I would caution, however, that this is not likely to be a good workflow if you're sending a document back and forth several times. I that case, I'd use Word.

iWork.com has been in beta. I've never seen an announcement from Apple about its future. It wouldn't be surprising if Apple begins charging for it. But it also wouldn't be surprising if they keep it free. And it wouldn't be surprising if they roll iWork.com into MobileMe. And there has been a lot of speculation about what Apple's plans for MobileMe are.

Also, note that iWork is the name of the software suite, which has never been free. And iWork.com is the name of the cloud service.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

georgeandjolie
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by georgeandjolie » Wed May 04, 2011 8:55 am

Thank you, Richard, for your helpful and accurate directions! I was able to accomplish what I needed to do. I thought the iWork route was complicated too, but that is how the tutorial instructed me. Now I know a better way. Thanks again, Jolie

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed May 04, 2011 9:07 am

georgeandjolie wrote:Thank you, Richard, for your helpful and accurate directions! I was able to accomplish what I needed to do. I thought the iWork route was complicated too, but that is how the tutorial instructed me. Now I know a better way. Thanks again, Jolie
Your welcome!

I think Apple is trying to get us used to "Cloud Computing" but there are a number of reasons why it hasn't taken off just yet. Your situation is one of them.

Stephen is right about collaboration. If you plan on sending this document back and forth several times for group editing then having to remember to save your changes as a .doc file can be a nuisance. If you're doing a lot of collaborative work then you should consider buying Office for Mac and just work within Word rather than Pages. But if what you're doing is just a now-and-then thing I'd suggest saving your money and stay in Pages with a personal reminder about the Export option. I have both Office and iWork and prefer the applications in iWork. The reason I still have Office is because of the collaborative work I still do.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

georgeandjolie
Forum Member - Level 2
Forum Member - Level 2

Post by georgeandjolie » Wed May 04, 2011 10:26 am

Thank you both, Richard and Stephen, for the ideas and info. I am learning so much! ~ Jolie

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:iWork.com has been in beta. I've never seen an announcement from Apple about its future.
Now I have:

Dear iWork.com user,

Thanks for participating in the iWork.com public beta.

Last year, we launched iCloud, a service that stores your music, photos, documents, and more and wirelessly pushes them to all your devices. Today, there are already over 40 million documents stored on iCloud by millions of iWork customers. Learn more about iCloud.

With a new way to share iWork documents between your devices using iCloud, the iWork.com public beta service will no longer be available. As of July 31, 2012, you will no longer be able to access your documents on the iWork.com site or view them on the web.

We recommend that you sign in to iWork.com before July 31, 2012, and download all your documents to your computer. For detailed instructions on how to save a copy of your documents on your computer, read this support article at Apple.com.

Sincerely,
The iWork team
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs