Junk mail filter for iPad

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
riverkeeper
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Junk mail filter for iPad

Post by riverkeeper » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:15 pm

We're thinking of poping for a new iPad 3 v a tiny MacBook for travel but the mail junk filter issue is disconcerting. iPad 2's on line Manual doesn't mentioned it and a net forum or 2 confirm it's a problem for some. Are there good app's or a good work around for this. our service provider is sluggish on the topic or maybe I just got a bad svcrep ... wavecable.
If you think the price of being well informed and educated is high, try ignorance.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Junk mail filter for iPad

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:30 pm

There was some discussion of this on Macintouch just recently. I didn't pay attention to it, but you can probably find it in their reader reports.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:13 pm

The current Mail app for the iPad doesn't have a junk filter. Perhaps the new version of iOS that should be released with the new iPad will accommodate a junk filter. I don't have any inside information. This assumes that the Mail app will be rewritten to include such a filter.

In the meantime, check with your ISP concerning its online mail program. Most online programs have spam filters available so you could always bypass the Mail app and just go to your ISP's website to check your mail.

I find it's just easier to use Mail and tap the TRASH icon when I see a message I'm not interested in reading.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:30 pm

I'm not sure I get the issues here, because I don't see a lot of spam.
Note that I only use my .mac address on my iPhone. I have not set up my olympus.net account on the phone. (I just prefer to have one address for the iPhone and not to deal with all my e-mail there. If you're traveling, that might not make sense, though Richard's suggestion, to use web-based e-mail, is excellent. Maybe Google Mail could help here.)

In my setup, If I move an e-mail out of the inbox on my Mac, it doesn't show up on my iPhone. Occasionally, there's a time lag, but this basically works.
So if I had a spam problem on my .mac account, I could merely flag those as spam, or even manually select the sender or part of the subject, etc., for filtering to the trash. Then my Mac would move the files, and they'd not show up on my iPhone.
This, of course, assumes my Mac is on and awake to do this task.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:18 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:Perhaps the new version of iOS that should be released with the new iPad will accommodate a junk filter.ng.
Might want to point out that there's nothing but rumors about an iPad 3 (though it stands to reason that there will be one some day). And there have been comments about an iOS 5 update in developer release for some time.
Steve Jobs

riverkeeper
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by riverkeeper » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:38 am

Thanks for the replies.

My spouse interacts with or has interacted with spam-generating sites that unfortunately provide about 80 cans of spam/day .... in her mind that's about 30 or 40 unwanted messages, she goes thru the rest. We have only one email acct & 2 macs, mine filters almost all of the crap. Can see at least 2 email accounts in our future but would like to avoid it.

Will talk with our provider on Monday.

The iPad--We travel about 7 weeks/yr and want to downsize clutter as we do so. Our big laptop is a drag to handle in a car, plane, restaurant(~Starbucks) or basic lugging around. Had hoped to aggressively filer Spam on an iPad and spouse could review Junk at leisure.
If you think the price of being well informed and educated is high, try ignorance.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:57 am

I'd still check with WaveCable to see if they can filter some of the email at the server level before it ever gets to your iPad.

In terms of traveling with the iPad I took it overseas and found that as a daily device it was inadequate for me. The virtual keyboard is a pain in the tushy. I now take a Macbook Air with me when I travel. It only weighs 2.38 lbs. and has a real keyboard. If you still want to make the iPad your exclusive travel device then I'd suggest one of those iPad covers that has a bluetooth keyboard. Of course, by the time you add up the iPad and the cover/keyboard you probably have 2.38 pounds so the iPad isn't going to be a lighter option.
---

riverkeeper
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by riverkeeper » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:26 pm

Wavecable is supposed to get back to me in 2 days.

Gmail might be able to filter spam and phish directly from the current email acct and provide a mostly clean product for the ipad. 2 pages--
http://www.webdevelopersnotes.com/tips/ ... -works.php

We're unlikely to carry an ipad keyboard on trips .... our Em's are brief. The only foreign countries we visit anymore are Canada and South Carolina.

Thanks again for the tips.

edit -- we've got a gen 1 ipod touch this might work for too.
Last edited by riverkeeper on Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:35 pm

South Carolina isn't that bad although they use a vinegar based sauce on their BBQ. The problem I have is with the North Carolinians. They put their cole slaw on the inside of their pulled pork sandwiches. The INSIDE! If Yahweh had meant the slaw to be on inside He never would have made small salad bowls.
---

riverkeeper
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by riverkeeper » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Wavecable.com got back to us with instructions for getting their assistance with Spam on Mac's with Mail.

*****Thanks for writing. We can help reduce the flow of spam from our server, with a bit of help from you. Visit www.wavebroadband/abuse and take a look at the forms there. They ask for the content and headers of a sample spam message to help us track down the source of the spam and filter them out at the server.
To find the header of a message in Macintosh Mail go to the "View" menu, then "Message" and select "Long Headers".
If you need a hand with the process feel free to give us a call anytime and we can walk you through it over the phone.

Tom
Technical Support
Wave call 1-866-928-3123
Astound call 1-800-427-8686****

Will save spam for a few days, engage wavecable on the most frequent spamers then probably also set up the GMail filter to conveniently bonk the others as they show up.