Location service shows old address

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Geneva Shen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Location service shows old address

Post by Geneva Shen » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:45 am

We use an Airport Extreme router that began life in Victoria, moved to Port Angeles, then to Port Orchard. Now, when we are home, the Location Service on our iPods sometime shows us to be in Victoria, sometimes in Port Angeles, often "not determined," never Port Orchard. I understand that the Location Service uses a database linked to the MAC address of the nearest router, and that Apple has stopped using Skyhook and is using its own db. The posts I saw all said it can never be changed, but I was hoping there is some new news about that. ??
1 iPod Touch is iOS 3, 2 others are iOS 5.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Location service shows old address

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Start from scratch by setting all defaults to the original factory settings. Use a paperclip to hold in the RESET button. In about five (5) seconds it will start to blink. Wait until all the lights are back to normal and you're good to go. You should consult your manual about this procedure for a more detailed explanation.

After that you'll need to use the AirPort Utility in your UTILITIES folder to reconfigure your Extreme. It will learn your new location and remember it. Note: After resetting the Extreme to original factory settings the default password is 'public' without the apostrophes and all lower-case.

If this doesn't work blame a white paper I looked at on the Apple (Support) website.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Location service shows old address

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:00 pm

Well, I'm posting this on the afternoon of the 13th. Your original question was posted on the morning of the 9th. Please let us know where things stand.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.