Movies on iPad

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Photo Jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Movies on iPad

Post by Photo Jeanne » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:53 pm

If I have a movie on my iPad, can I then watch it on my TV with the proper cords? And what would those be???

Thanks

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: Movies on iPad

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:40 pm

Several options.

If you have a newer TV with an open HDMI port, the all you need is an Apple Digital AV Adapter ($39)

For a TV with open composite inputs (red, green,blue) get an Apple Composite AV cable ($39)

Another option is an Apple TV, if you have an open HDMI port and a wireless home network.($99). With that movies can be streamed to your TV without any cable at all using AirPlay technology. It has lots of other features, like playing Netflix movies or music from your music library ... And, of course, movies from the iTunes Store.

;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:02 pm

I echo Ray's suggestion of an Apple TV. Not only can you watch movies from iTunes (pay per view), but also Netflilx (monthly subscription), movies you have downloaded to your Mac from other sources, video or audio podcasts, and, if you're ever in the mood, zillions of free things from iTunes U*. You can also see any images you have on a Mac in the house as slideshows, and you can play music from your Mac. (That's especially nice if you have reasonably good speakers attached to your TV.)

* iTunes U has lots of stuff, ranging from short college podcasts to public lectures to complete college courses.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:53 am

One thing that needs saying is that option one only indicates the cost of the adapter. You would still need to buy an HDMI to HDMI cable. A 25 footer from Radio Shack runs about $69!

The composite cable in option two is only abou 5 feet long, so if you need a greater length you will have to add that cost.

I believe that both of the first two options can be purchased at Wal-Mart.

;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:04 am

Costco also has hdmi cables.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:08 pm

I wrote:
(That's especially nice if you have reasonably good speakers attached to your TV.)
And it occurs to me that I should say that we have a recent flat-screen TV with an earphone jack. We merely plugged in a good computer speaker set (with a large amp/bass unit), and it works very well in our 20' x 30' living room. This is a speaker set that my son left with us because he didn't want to schlep it across the country. It's not surround sound, but it's got more than enough volume, and the sound clarity is excellent. (That's one of the issues that drove us to a new TV. We watch a lot of old movies, and some have very muddy soundtracks. New TV + good speakers = problem solved.)
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks to Rick Johnston I have now figured out how to view older PBS programs from my iPad. You just need the free PBS iPad app and an Apple TV. Using my home WiFi setup no cables are necessary.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.