Just bought a new Macbook Pro, transfer from old Mac

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
pattygraham
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Just bought a new Macbook Pro, transfer from old Mac

Post by pattygraham » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:35 am

Since my old Mac can't be upgraded very easily I bought a new Macbook Pro. I have Time Machine that I use to back up. I can only do this manually. I have a portable hard drive that I use via USB. Now can I use that to install on my new Mac without much trouble. And can I be selective with what I put on the new Mac. Also I have Office 2011, can I put that on via the time machine or do I have to use the disc Same with my other programs I have on my old Mac, Like printshop, pages ... I'm very cautious as I'm just not used to Lion So I've be hesitant to just boldly go ahead with this.

Thanks

Patty

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Just bought a new Macbook Pro, transfer from old Mac

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:56 am

Assuming your new MacBook Pro came with Lion installed, and assuming it's running fine in initial testing, here's the simplest and safest procedure:

On the MacBook Pro, first make a trip to System Preferences > Time Machine and be sure its turned off.
Plug in the Time Machine drive. If you get a message asking if you want to use it as a Time Machine drive, answer no.

Start up Migration Assistant. The easiest way is to begin typing its name in the menubar Spotlight field (see screenshot below).

Choose to migrate all your user information from the Time Machine drive. This will take some time, but will bring in all your apps, settings and files. Migration Assistant is smart enough that it won't copy anything that would mess up your Lion install. Everything should just work.

When that process is done, unplug the Time Machine drive and set it aside. Buy a new drive for Time Machine and set it up for your Lion install. The first time you run it it will take a long time. Keep the old drive for a good long time, until you're absolutely sure you'll never need anything on it. Unless your old Time Machine drive is relatively new and large, I'd suggest putting it in a drawer and forgetting it for many months.

If you then want to prune old apps or other files, do so after Migration Assistant is done doing its thing, but be very careful with this process. Don't worry about deleting files so save space. Your new MacBook Pro will have a larger hard drive. And it's relatively easy to upgrade the drive if you ever need to. No harm comes from having unused files just sitting on the drive.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

pattygraham
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by pattygraham » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:13 pm

Thank you Stephen, I saw Migration Assistant when I set up my new Mac but didn't do it as I was afraid:<) Will my emails be saved to new Mac as I have some I've archived.. I'll give a whirl in a little while when I can just concentrate on that task. I'll post back to let you know how it went. Thanks for the prompt reply

Patty

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:33 pm

pattygraham wrote:Will my emails be saved to new Mac as I have some I've archived..
Unless something goes hideously wrong, everything should be just as you had it before. That's the whole point of Migration Assistant.

However, you do need to be aware that Lion introduces some significant changes in the user interface, as well as new versions of several apps, including Mail. So things will look different. There are various settings you can use and the free TinkerTool has several more to change Lion's UI behavior somewhat, if any of it bothers you. I've adapted quickly, and there's little or nothing about that bothers me. (I did use a trick I found to remove the woodgrain from iCal.)

On the other hand, Lion introduces some really significant improvements, many under the hood.
Steve Jobs

pattygraham
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by pattygraham » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:06 pm

OMG I had a horrible time logging in. Finally got in on my new Mac... Anyhow it seems like I have 2 Macs.. One looks like Lion and One looks like Snow Leopard. The snow Leopard acts like Lion... But the main thing is I seem to have everything on my new Mac.. Oh Boy did I do it right?? Anyhow I have two log in's. 1 is for Lion and one from my old Mac... So is that right?????

Thanks

Patty

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:57 pm

You probably set up a new user for the migration. That is Lion, with all your data and settings.
The other is the user you originally had on the new MacBook Pro, with nothing migrated.
For the moment, you can ignore the default user and just login to the user with your migrated content. If that all looks good, you can later delete the other user.
Steve Jobs

pattygraham
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by pattygraham » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 am

Thank you so much Stephen. Will you be at the SMUG meeting Wed. I'll bring my new Mac. So I went to Walmart and bought a hard drive and will be backing up the new Mac... As soon as I'm familiar and comfortable with the new Mac I'll need to sell the old one and will need to wipe out the contents.. May ask for help on that.

I did notice the difference with mail but all my archived emails were there:<)

Patty

pattygraham
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by pattygraham » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:18 am

I noticed that I didn't have all the files for my wireless printers when I tried to print. So apple downloaded the missing parts for me so I could use my printers. So far that has been the only issue with the migration.
Lion feels awkward to me but I'm getting used to it. the scrolling is the most awkward to me.. Mail is taking a little getting used to also..

Thanks

Patty

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:43 am

Almost all printer manufacturers now send driver updates to Apple and they're managed through Software Update. Software Update only installs drivers of printers you've set up on your Mac. Usually, if you try to set up a printer for the first time, that'll trigger Software Update to fetch the latest driver. Lion probably needed different drivers for your printers.

You can switch the scrolling direction in System Preferences > Mouse. You can make the scroll bars always visible in System Preferences > General. There are a bunch of settings, some hidden, to make Lion look and feel more like Snow Leopard if that's what you want.
Steve Jobs