Camera/Computer Cannot communicate

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Camera/Computer Cannot communicate

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:57 pm

I went to download my first little batch of pictures since I got my new computer.
Surprise: Camera cannot seem to communicate with computer.
No camera icon shows up. No offer of downloading to iPhoto the way I was used to.

What do I do?

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Camera/Computer Cannot communicate

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:23 pm

Kirsten Ruhl wrote:I went to download my first little batch of pictures since I got my new computer.
Surprise: Camera cannot seem to communicate with computer.
No camera icon shows up. No offer of downloading to iPhoto the way I was used to.

What do I do?
We need a little more information.

1) What's the make and the model of the camera?

2) Are you connecting the camera to your Mac via a USB cable or are you using a card reader?

3) Have you checked at the camera manufacturer's website for drivers? Some cameras must have their proprietary drivers loaded for even iPhoto to open.

4) What Mac software are you using to catalogue/edit your photos?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Kirsten Ruhl
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Kirsten Ruhl » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Thanks, Richard

Here is requested info.

1) Camera is Panasonic DMC-ZS1 purchased from Costco last year.
2) USB cable connection
3) No, I have not checked manufacturer's website. I don't remember anything about a driver for it before. I checked my applications folder and no mention of anything Panasonic. (All applications were transferred from old computer to new so I'm concluding that old computer never had a driver installed.)
4) iPhoto

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:58 pm

I'm going to ask a real basic question here so please don't get upset with me. Did you turn the camera ON before connecting the cable?

Next, since you transferred your old stuff to your new Mac did you change from one OS to another? For example, did you go from Leopard to Snow Leopard? A newer OS may require a newer driver. Go to the manufacturer's website and look under the Tech Support area for any downloads associated with your model. See if there is any software there that is recommended. And be careful to make sure you download the appropriate version as determined by your Mac's OS.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:55 am

You may need to reset iPhoto's preferences to start up and download images. See image below.

If that doesn't work, connect the camera (making sure it's switched on, as Richard says) and see if it shows up as an external drive in the Finder. Another way to check this is to connect the camera, then open Image Capture.app and see if the camera is listed in the Devices section.

Finally, two more basic questions:
Are you sure the USB cord is connected at both ends?
Are you sure there's a card in the camera?
Attachments
iphpref.jpg
iphpref.jpg (25.2 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:06 am

Plug the camera into the computer, turn the camera on. Watch the display on the camera, not the computer. Does it tell you to PLEASE SELECT THE USB MODE?
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Huh. None of my cameras asks what to do when I plug them in. But mine are a few years old.

iPhoto has a camera eject button. You'll need to use that or eject from the Finder, or, as Bob mentions drag the icon to the Eject symbol where the Trash used to be. Otherwise you'll get the dreaded message that you might have harmed files on the device. I've never seen that happen, but I do try to eject before jerking the USB cord.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:16 pm

The reason I'm asking about drivers is this. I never had to download and install drivers for my Kodak until iPhoto '11 was released. Before that all I did was plug in the camera via a USB cable, turn the camera ON and iPhoto would open up and start the file transfer process. But with iPhoto '11 none of that happened. So I checked on the Kodak website for an explanation and found none, but I did find drivers for Snow Leopard.

Even though I had already been using Snow Leopard my camera just wouldn't "talk" to iPhoto '11 so I thought I'd give the drivers a try. Once the drivers were installed, all the problems went away. Now I just connect the camera, turn it on and iPhoto '11 takes over.
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:43 pm

I'm almost embarrassed to post this but I will just in case it has any relevance to this thread. I went hiking today and wanted to download my photos to iPhoto. Nothing! The software just said no camera was detected. I tried all my tricks and nothing worked. And this just after all this posting about camera connections.

Then I looked over to where I leave the camera to be recharged and noticed the combo power/data cable. I had a different 5-pin cable attached to the camera. But that shouldn't matter, should it? But I changed out the cables anyway and used the one that came with the camera and Eureka! the camera connected.

OK Kirsten, here's my next dumb question. Are you using the data cable that came with the camera or another one? You wouldn't think it would matter but it does for my Kodak.
---

Jay Cline
Forum Member - Level 4
Forum Member - Level 4
Location: A sleepy little mill town with a smokestack or two on one end.

Post by Jay Cline » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Richard, still using a Kodak? Is this where you plug the USB cable in?
Attachments
old-kodak-camera1.jpg
old-kodak-camera1.jpg (49.25 KiB) Viewed 1813 times
-----------------
This is where I'd normally write an impressive summary of my skills and proficiencies.