External BluRay Player/burner

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
jrosand
Forum Member
Forum Member

External BluRay Player/burner

Post by jrosand » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:56 am

I just purchased an external Samsung BluRay Burner/Player. I have a MacBook Pro and use the BluRay device via the usb port on the MacBook Pro. I was surprised that although the BluRay device is "plug and play" compatible with the MacBook Pro, there was no software on the computer to actually play a BluRay DVD on my laptop.

I have the latest version of Toast and found that I could create a BluRay DVD on the Mac with my external device. The external BluRay device and MacPro were working correctly.

After an extensive search of the web I discovered that there was very little support for BluRay disc playing on the Mac. I did purchase an application ($49) "Mac Blu-ray Player" that does the job of playing my BluRay discs perfectly.

Did I jump the gun here and miss some other alternatives that may be available to us Mac Blu-ray users?

-Jim

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: External BluRay Player/burner

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:19 pm

There's been some discussion of Blu-Ray on Macintouch. It might be worth your while to search there.

My vague understanding is that Apple decided not to support Blu-Ray on their traditional principle that it's not the next great thing*. Alternatively, maybe they decided that the advantages of Blu-Ray on a small screen are too slight. Or that the disk is dead in general. Or they couldn't make a good-enough deal with Blu-Ray drive manufacturers.

I checked out a few Blu-Ray movies when we got a new 32" flat-screen TV in the summer and was not impressed, considering the premium monthly payment to get them from Netflix.

*Apple has traditionally adopted some new technologies ahead of the pack, ignored others, and most famously dropped dying technologies way ahead of the pack. I don't know what their long-term track record would be if you put it on a time line.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: External BluRay Player/burner

Post by Richard Serkes » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:50 pm

Try going to the manufacturer's website and see if there's a utility for the Mac OS. If not, email tech support and see what they say.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.