iPad Charging

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iPad Charging

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:35 am

There's been a long discussion on Macintouch about which USB devices will charge an iPad. But the answer is clear in Apple's iPad Charging page:
The fastest way to charge your iPad is with the included 10W USB Power Adapter. iPad will also charge, although more slowly, when attached to a computer with a high-power USB port (many recent Mac computers) or with an iPhone Power Adapter. When attached to a computer via a standard USB port (most PCs or older Mac computers) iPad will charge, but only when it's in sleep mode. Make sure your computer is on while charging iPad via USB. If iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPad battery will continue to drain.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4060
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPad Charging

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:44 am

I tried plugging my iPad1 and iPad2 into a powered USB hub and it said NOT CHARGING on both units. So you have to be careful. But it's good to know that you can use the iPhone charger, even if it's slower. That means one less charger/cable to drag along when traveling. I can use the iPhone charger for both.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:04 am

Note that Apple says the iPad will charge on low-power USB ports, but only when it's off or asleep. So seeing "No Charging" doesn't tell the whole story.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:28 am

Stephen Hart wrote:Note that Apple says the iPad will charge on low-power USB ports, but only when it's off or asleep. So seeing "No Charging" doesn't tell the whole story.
Come to think of it, I was syncing it with iTunes at the time so the iPads were on. Hmmmmmmm.
---

Photo Jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by Photo Jeanne » Thu May 19, 2011 9:56 am

Will an I-Pod charger also work? I seem to have a couple of those. Or will the I-Pad charger charge my I-Pod?

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Thu May 19, 2011 10:08 am

Photo Jeanne wrote:Will an I-Pod charger also work? I seem to have a couple of those. Or will the I-Pad charger charge my I-Pod?
It depends on the generation of your iPod. The iPads use the 30-pin port as do the newer iPods and iPhones. I have an older iPod Nano (generation 2) and the connection is different.

If your iPods use the same 30-pin connection as your new iPad, just connect them using the most convenient cable and see what happens. On a recent trip I used my iPhone charger on my iPad and all was good although it took a little longer than normal to recharge the iPad.

You can't hurt anything. It's not as if fire and smoke will come belching out the back of your iPad.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu May 19, 2011 10:55 am

Richard Serkes wrote:[It's not as if fire and smoke will come belching out the back of your iPad.
Knock on wood!
Steve Jobs