A little sympathy for our Windows to Mac switching friends

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
bluesky
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

A little sympathy for our Windows to Mac switching friends

Post by bluesky » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:31 am

Hi everyone

I have a good friend, who's son has a Mac and after watching me on the Mac for a couple of years, decided to get a MacBook Pro and make the switch. I am continually hearing his woes with trying to learn the new OS, keyboard, and why does't it do "this" like Windows does. Many times the Mac does "it", but he hasn't figured out how to yet.

This article will give you a feeling of what our Windows to Mac switching friends may be going through.

Have a little sympathy.... :cry:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/learning- ... ag=nl.e540
"All computers wait at the same speed."

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: A little sympathy for our Windows to Mac switching frien

Post by Richard Serkes » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:02 am

So I read the article. Sorry, no sympathy whatsoever. The author is upset because the Mac OS isn't Windows 7. What did he expect? If he likes Windows, so be it but he shouldn't have purchased a Mac and then complained.

What you're really reading about is the resistance to change. Even long time Mac users are having snits over Lion because it isn't Snow Leopard or Leopard or any of the earlier cats. Right here on our SMUG Forum I've read many posts that boil down to "I don't like that new feature." OK, just turn it off. There will always be those who embrace change and see it as an opportunity to learn something new and those who want to do the same things the same way for ever and ever.

Even Luddite Lucy (aka my wife) has finally gotten around to using an in-car navigator and a cell phone.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:34 pm

It works the other way also. When I am visiting family and I have to use their Windows machines I come away with the same type of frustrations. This doesn't make sense! Mac does it this way much better, etc., etc. I don't get any sympathy from them. "Why do you keep buying those expensive Macs", etc., etc.

It's just the way it will be; the Hatfields vs the McCoys. Oh, I forgot this crowd may be too young to relate to that example!

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:03 pm

Bob Wiswell wrote:"Why do you keep buying those expensive Macs"
I'm not suggesting you get into a fight, but the one time I stood my ground, I found this:

A new MacBook Pro, compared to the most equivalent new Dell laptop cost slightly less, and had better features.
Was that a win for me? No! The windows folks' answer was that I should compare a just-released top-of-the-line MacBook Pro to a discontinued Dell laptop model available in Dell's remainders section. (It was probably a repackaged return, as Dell builds on order.) And the specs weren't even remotely comparable.

Here's how those arguments work: Compare a laptop to a laptop. Compare a computer to a computer. Nevermind the specs.

So last November I could have gone to Costco and bought a computer for several hundred dollars. Why would I want to pay $2,500.00 for a quad-core i7 iMac with a 27" monitor, a terabyte drive and 16 GB of RAM?
So the Windows computer would have had a smaller, inferior monitor, an inferior keyboard, an inferior processor, a smaller hard drive, very little RAM, and an inferior operating system. (wipes foam from chin)
But I could have done e-mail on it and gone on the intertubes.

Another argument would be "I'll switch to Windows when you pry my cold, dead hands off my Mac."
Or "Have you checked out Apple's stock lately?" (Bypassed Microsoft last year, temporarily bypassed Exxon as the most valuable company in the world this summer.)
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs