RapidWeaver 5 On Sale

Discussion of general issues, not related to a specific Mac or iDevice operating system.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

RapidWeaver 5 On Sale

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:01 am

Smith Micro just sent me an email telling me that if I buy RapidWeaver 4 for a mere $29.99 I'll get the upgrade to RapidWeaver 5 for free. I admit, I know very little about website construction applications but am interested in creating a couple of sites...one for myself and one for my wife.

Setting aside the price, is this a good application for a website construction newbie? If not, what would you recommend. Again, the term "newbie" is critical here.

And even though iWeb will no longer be hosted by Apple, Apple has said that sites created in iWeb can be moved to other hosts. What I haven't been able to find out is whether or not Apple will continue to support and improve iWeb or if it's dead in the water. Has anyone read anything about the future development of iWeb (or non-development)?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: RapidWeaver 5 On Sale

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:52 am

I haven't read anything about the future of iWeb. As it stands, you can pretty easily publish an iWeb site anywhere. A few features (hit counter, etc.) will not work.

Note, however, that iWeb is not mentioned in Apple's iLife page: http://www.apple.com/ilife/ , though it does have its own page here: http://www.apple.com/ilife/ . And iWeb is not available from the Mac App Store.

If you have a Mobile Me account, iWeb and publishing to Mobile Me will still work until next June. That gives you a lot of time to study other solutions, and to get some idea about what Apple plans with iWeb. iLife 12 would surely be out by then.
I think iWeb would be the easiest way to make a nice-looking site.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:58 pm

My suggestion would be to try out RapidWeaver 5 by downloading a free trial version, before you open your wallet to buy anything.

I did that at some point in the past, and found RapidWeaver had a very steep learning curve. I gave up trying to learn RapidWeaver ... and returned to iWeb for website creation.

By comparison iWeb is much easier to learn, but is admittedly limited in features.

I agree with Stephen, and stick to using iWeb ... at least until you find that it doesn't have all the features that you need.

BTW, the download link for RapidWeaver 5 is at the Realmac Software website: http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/overview/

Have fun.

;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Good idea. The sale price will be available for another nine days, plenty of time to try it for free.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.