Classes on Mac / Apple

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
mrynas
Forum Member
Forum Member

Classes on Mac / Apple

Post by mrynas » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:52 am

My wife just bought an I Pad 3 from Best Buy.

We need to get it set up, and she needs to learn the operating system and how to use the I Pad.

If we were in Bellevue etc. we would go to an Apple Store.

What options do we have here in Sequim?

Thanx, Mike Rynas

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Classes on Mac / Apple

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:23 am

I expect Ray can fill you in on Sequim-specific things.
But if you have questions, you can ask here.
There really isn't much to learn about iOS. It pretty much stays in the background. The tricks for the iPad are more to do with what each physical buttons does, and where app icons appear, and things like how to control sound when the iPad screen goes to sleep*.

Another topic to understand is how the iPad interacts with iTunes.

I would first start with the image of the iPad in the manual and get very familiar with where the buttons are. Then get familiar with swiping, tapping, etc.

Apps in iOS are less uniform than apps on a Mac, so you just need to figure out how to use each app. I'd suggest not downloading every app that seems remotely useful. I've had an iPhone for more than a year, and have a bunch of apps I nearly never use. They don't hurt anything, but if you start with too many apps, it'll add to the confusion.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:29 am

mrynas wrote:My wife just bought an I Pad 3 from Best Buy.

We need to get it set up, and she needs to learn the operating system and how to use the I Pad.

If we were in Bellevue etc. we would go to an Apple Store.

What options do we have here in Sequim?

Thanx, Mike Rynas
Stephen's suggestions are good ones but sometimes you need a little "hands on" demo if you're new to an operating system and I'm assuming Apple's iOS is new to you. If no one in the Sequim area steps up then I can swing by your house on Tuesday and work with your wife and you to grasp the essentials.

Note: This house call ain't a freebie. Do you have a coffee pot? Good! Do you keep pastries around? Good again. For a cup of joe and a cookie or two I'm your guy.

Squimites, if one of you can make this house call that would be great. I live about 30 minutes from Sequim so it wouldn't be a big deal making the drive but if someone who lives closer could help these folks that sure would be nice. And I bet they'd offer you the coffee and cookies, too.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

riverkeeper
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by riverkeeper » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:58 pm

" iPad The Missing Manual" .... Kindle about 9 bucks and it is right where you want it all the time.
If you think the price of being well informed and educated is high, try ignorance.

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:29 pm

iBooks has the missing manual for iPad 1 and iPad 2 but not the new iPad which we all know is the iPad 3. At iBooks they sell for $11.99.

The Kindle Store at Amazon has the manual for iPad 3 for $9.99.
---

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:24 am

Mike,

First of all, I would suggest downloading the FREE iPad User Guide using this link: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPad_User_Guide.pdf

Next, you should be aware that the Sequim Senior Activity Center offers free iPad, iPod, and Mac support for all of its members every Monday from 1:00 until 2:00.
Bill Wrobel and myself (Ray Bentsen) do the Apple "Computer Clinic" support in the Senior Center classroom, along with two others who answer Windows questions.

The Computer Clinic is for primarily for troubleshooting and help with specific questions ... and not really for dealing with the "I just bought a new device, and I need you to show me everything" scenario.

Membership dues for the Sequim Senior Activity Center are $35 per year (increasing to $40 in July)** and there are no age requirements, so many of our members are under 50 years old and some under 40. Some join just to get the computer support, some to go on our many bus trips, and some to socialize and play a game of Scrabble, bridge, cribbage, or poker.

Currently, there are also two different Mac classes offered for those who want traditional classroom instruction, and we are discussing the possibility of an iPad class, since there has already been significant interest shown. Information is available at the Senior Center front desk, or call any morning at 683-6806.

;)

** P.S. Free Sequim Senior Activity Center memberships are now available if your annual income is less than $19,000 . Just stop in for a membership form.
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

mrynas
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by mrynas » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:24 am

Richard, Ray, Stephen etal,

thanx for the info. Susan went to the Sequim Senior Center and got her I Pad setup.

we will donwload the free manual and take it from there.

she is setup now on email, so that helps.

Thanx again for your help and suggestions!

Mike and Susan

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 am

Glad to hear it. The Sequim Senior Center is a great resource for lots of things.
---

riverkeeper
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

Post by riverkeeper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:38 pm

riverkeeper wrote:" iPad The Missing Manual" .... Kindle about 9 bucks and it is right where you want it all the time.
The Missing Manual is the 4th Ed issued 4/12/12 and covers all iPads. Since I'm a newbie this was far more useful than the users manual which I downloaded too.
If you think the price of being well informed and educated is high, try ignorance.