iPad Pro and Pencil

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iPad Pro and Pencil

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:08 pm

"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPad Pro and Pencil

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:40 pm

Also, it occurred to me that the concept of a tablet as an input device for a Mac may have faded away. Why input a drawing directly to the Mac when you can do better just drawing on the iPad and later sending the image to the Mac for further rendering, even if you're sitting at your Mac drawing on your iPad.

Kind of a paradigm shift.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:19 pm

The good: Breakthrough accessories, powerful processor, gorgeous screen
The bad: Gets expensive fast, really big, iOS 9 needs work
Who should buy it: Students and creatives especially; frequent travelers and people who need to mutlitask on the go
Bottom line: The iPad Pro is best computer Apple has ever made
http://time.com/4113160/ipad-pro-review/ [I apologize ahead of Time for the autoplay audio.]

My impression: "really big" is a "bad"? Especially the you read this:
Size matters, in this case, for what it allows you to do. First and foremost, the additional screen real estate—it’s 2732-by-2048 pixels—lets the device take advantage of productivity improvements Apple built into iOS 9, the company’s mobile operating system. Features called Slide Over and Split View allow you to run multiple applications at once, dividing the screen according to your needs. I found this worked particularly well when writing or editing a document in a main window while keeping track of conversations in Slack or Messages to the side.
(Because, of course, a writer for Time couldn't live even an hour during his or her workday without "keeping track of conversations in Slack or Messages.")

Overall, I think the press on the iPad Pro grabbed "it can't replace your PC" like a life preserver. How else would they include the required criticism of Apple?
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Ordered.

Will report back, after the New Year. Both the keyboard cover and the pencil won't aren't slated to ship for four to five weeks. Neither is necessary, but will be nice to test out. I'm thinking this will be a replacement for our daily used iPad 4 and an occasionally used MacBook Pro. But that's not all!

Hoping all three are in place for some special guests arriving after 12/25.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:28 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:Also, it occurred to me that the concept of a tablet as an input device for a Mac may have faded away. Why input a drawing directly to the Mac when you can do better just drawing on the iPad and later sending the image to the Mac for further rendering, even if you're sitting at your Mac drawing on your iPad.

Kind of a paradigm shift.
Astropad

Astropad lets you use your iPad as a graphics tablet for your Mac, and it works supremely well.
Just something I saw on the web. I haven't tried this app.

[12/21/15]
Here's a review:
http://9to5mac.com/2015/12/21/astropad- ... le-pencil/
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:54 pm

Like the Magic Mouse 2, Apple Pencil is designed to get a partial charge really fast, in case you run its battery down in mid sketch:
And if the battery happens to run out while using Apple Pencil, you can just charge it from your iPad Pro for 15 seconds and get 30 minutes of use.
Of course, if you're a professional, and you run down the Pencil and the iPad Pro at the same time, then, podner, it's time to hang up yer spurs.

I haven't gotten a chance to test yet, but from what I see on the web, the built-in Notes app plus Apple Pencil is a good combination for quick sketches and notes plus sketches.

I'm going to try out a few "art" apps widely recommended on the web as well.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:19 pm

My Apple Pencil shipped yesterday, with its free two-day shipping. Unfortunately, Friday, Saturday and Sunday don't count as business days, so I won't see it until late Monday.

Meanwhile, here's a pretty extensive review of the Pencil: http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/24/review-ap ... -ipad-pro/

Also, I have the keyboard cover, and several testers say it's great. It doesn't fold the same way as the old iPad Smart Cover, which takes some getting used to. You can have a fairly upright, landscape stance, which Apple labels as "for viewing." And you can have a less upright landscape view with the keyboard out, for typing and general use. There's no lower angle as in the old iPad cover, and no portrait orientation with the cover holding the iPad. Just used as a cover, the extra thickness is tiny. Even the packaging is up to Apple's usual work-of-art standards. Because the cover layer plus the keyboard layer is thicker than just the cover layer, Apple included a very thin, full-width box to fill up the main box. All the paperwork is designed to fit in that box.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:17 pm

If you're into programming, this Apple Pencil app tutorial is for you:

http://www.raywenderlich.com/121834/app ... l-tutorial
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:48 pm

If you're into Star Wars ™ and drawing spaceships and you have an iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil (knit hat and logo sweatshirt optional):

http://www.core77.com/posts/44338/Using ... ng-Fighter
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:32 am

I've spent some time with the Pencil, and can say that it behaves as advertised. Overall, it's a real pleasure to use. The vaunted latency varies from app to app, though. Apple's own Notes seems to respond most quickly. (You can also draw in Mail, but I haven't tried that.)
I guess that all the other apps will tweak their code to reduce latency.
I decided it didn't make sense to choose an art/tracing/sketching app by its description, so I bought a bunch. I'll fiddle with them over time.
Because I have a Creative Cloud subscription at present, I have
Adobe Sketch, Adobe Draw and Adobe Comp
Other art apps: Morpholio Trace, Paper by 53, SketchTime, Procreate, ArtRage and Brushes Redux
Photo retouching apps: PS Express (Adobe CC) and Pixelmator
And to compare with Apple's Notes, I bought Notability.
KaleidoPaint is more for fun.

The Apple Pencil comes with one spare tip (they wear over time, a feature, not a bug) and a female-to-female Lightning connector. The connector has a small circle at one end, and all the photos from Apple, and in the image on the card the connector comes in, that end is plugged into the Pencil. I couldn't find anything on the web to indicate if that's required or not.

Though the Pencil is weighted in such a way that it doesn't roll much on a flat surface, it's certainly cat bait. And both the Lightning connector and the cap on the Pencil's back end will be easy to lose.
Attachments
apple-pencil-charging-adapter.jpg
apple-pencil-charging-adapter.jpg (11.5 KiB) Viewed 9795 times
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs