How can I "clean" my iPad before selling it?

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
jeanne
Forum Member - Level 1
Forum Member - Level 1

How can I "clean" my iPad before selling it?

Post by jeanne » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:31 am

Could anyone tell me how to get rid of personal data, specifically eMail messages, before I give my iPad to my daughter?
There's stuff on it she really doesn't need to know!!

Thanks,

Jeanne Sokolinski

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: How can I "clean" my iPad before selling it?

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:43 pm

What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

You can find other versions (some might have additional tips) by googling "Prepare an iPad for sale." (Leave off the quote marks.)

Note that making an iPad backup in iTunes as mentioned in the Apple instructions only allows you to restore an iPad with the backup. This is perfect if you're upgrading your iPad to a new model.
If you want to save photos, e-mails, documents, etc. for easy use, be sure they are synced or copied or otherwise available on your Mac before you follow the Apple instructions.

Note 2: e-mail is in general not very secure. It passes through many servers between you and the recipient. It is stored on your ISP's server for a variable amount of time. Somebody "listening in" can copy the e-mail as it goes by. Somebody who gets physical control of your iPad could copy the e-mails. Etc., etc.

Note 3: There is software available to unpack iPad (and iPhone) backups from iTunes. So once this transaction is all done, you might want to delete that iPad backup.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs