Add photos to iPad

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Add photos to iPad

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:28 pm

So we ran into a problem today, and I haven't found a real solution, though I do have a workaround.

Last year, we added some photos from Aperture to my mother-in-law's iPad.
We wanted to add some more today. I created a new album, added selected photos to the new album, selected the album in iTunes when the iPad was plugged in, initiated a sync and got a message that all other photos would be deleted from the iPad (except Camera Roll photos).
I stopped there and did a web search, but came empty.
So on the iPad we selected the photos in the "Photos" album and saved them in a new, named album. Then we initiated the sync from Aperture, from a named album.
The result was a new album with the right name from Aperture, and the other named album still on the iPad, but it contained no photos.

The only workarounds I've thought of are:
1. Keep a single album in our Aperture library for that iPad and add photos to it as we go along.
2. Set up a Smart Album and make sure to label photos intended for it in some way (text description, keyword)

Because there were only a few before, and I have the originals, we can select the ones we want again and add them to an album. In the future, we're likely to be the only ones who will add photos to the iPad, we can cope.

But what about adding photos to an iPad that has the owner's photos on it? Anyone confront this?
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

jest2dogs
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Re: Add photos to iPad

Post by jest2dogs » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:51 pm

You could email photos to the iPad, then save them to Camera Roll or the iPhoto app. The quality of the emailed photo might be less or, if sent (shared) as an attachment right from iPhoto, there might be very little degradation.

Is this an option worth trying?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: Add photos to iPad

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:47 am

jest2dogs wrote:You could email photos to the iPad, then save them to Camera Roll or the iPhoto app. The quality of the emailed photo might be less or, if sent (shared) as an attachment right from iPhoto, there might be very little degradation.

Is this an option worth trying?
We've done that a number of times. It works perfectly, and you can select Large or Actual Size in Mail to get better quality. It's a fine workaround for small numbers of photos.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs