iPad Tip: Smart Cover, roll it right

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to all iPads.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iPad Tip: Smart Cover, roll it right

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:53 am

I realized recently that I've been rolling the Smart Cover on my iPad the wrong way.
The inside of the Smart Cover is a synthetic felt designed to protect and even clean the iPad screen.

If you lift the edge of the Smart Cover and roll it away from you, it ends up with the felt outside. So one panel of the felt will be resting on the desktop, picking up who knows what combination of grit and grease.

Instead, lift the front edge and tuck in under, rolling so that the plastic (or Italian leather) surface is outside. The magnets will snap it into position.

The only downside is that you need to be careful in putting the cover back that you don't let the back edge of the iPad drop onto the desk or table.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPad Tip: Smart Cover, roll it right

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:23 pm

Huh? My official Apple Smartcover doesn't let me bend it that way without straining the cover's natural hinges. And I couldn't see how the magnets would make the cover do what you suggested.

If you go to the Apple website and check out the iPad accessories the demo show rolling the cover away from you putting the inside of the cover on the flat surface.

UPDATE: OK, I got it to do what you suggested but I wonder why the Apple demo shows the felt interior on the flat surface of the table?
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:12 pm

UPDATE: OK, I got it to do what you suggested but I wonder why the Apple demo shows the felt interior on the flat surface of the table?
I looked at the video, to check my sanity. (Didn't help, but, well...)

The only bit of the video showing opening the cover shows the first flap opening away from the user.
But I think all the shots of the iPad resting on the cover show the plastic on the outside.

I'll see if I can get some shots.
Steve Jobs

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
I looked at the video, to check my sanity. (Didn't help, but, well...)

The only bit of the video showing opening the cover shows the first flap opening away from the user.
But I think all the shots of the iPad resting on the cover show the plastic on the outside.

I'll see if I can get some shots.
Use your mouse to drag the cover all the way off and rolled up. The interior of the cover is on the table.
---

Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:32 pm

I just checked out the video ad in iPad accessories and it shows the cover folded with the interior down on the table both in portrait and landscape mode. You have to stop the video and look closely but the folds in the cover are the giveaway.

I hope this puts this issue to rest.
---

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:38 pm

So I looked again too.
The animation clearly shows rolling it away, with the felt out. :?

On the videos, I can't really tell what the net-result shots are showing. I thought they were showing the plastic out.

But a key problem is that if you roll it plastic out, it won't stand up near vertical. So I guess the intent is to roll it felt-out. :?: :?:

I'll vote for a redesign. (Or a moderator can just delete this off-the-rails thread.)

At any rate, I think you want to keep that felt side as clean as you can. When I flop the whole cover over, I always fold it back half way to I'm not holding the felt.
Steve Jobs