iPhone 5 Introduced

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iPhone 5 Introduced

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:36 am

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

Thinner, lighter---where have I heard that before?

By the way, a new iPod Touch and a new iPod nano were also introduced. The nano has the rectangular form factor of an earlier nano that had a video camera in it.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Re: iPhone 5 Introduced

Post by Ray Bentsen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Here is nice summary of the iPhone 5 from Apple Sales News:
The thinnest and lightest iPhone ever, iPhone 5 combines an anodized aluminum body with diamond-cut chamfered edges and glass inlays for a truly incredible fit and finish.

It features the stunning new 4-inch Retina display, Apple-designed A6 chip for blazing fast performance, ultrafast wireless technology, 8MP iSight camera with panorama photo support, the smaller, reversible Lightning connector, and even better battery life. iPhone 5 comes with the new Apple EarPods, featuring a breakthrough design for a more natural fit and increased durability, and an incredible acoustic quality typically reserved for higher-end earphones.

iPhone 5 comes with iOS 6, the world's most advanced mobile operating system with over 200 new features, including the all-new Maps app with Apple-designed cartography and turn-by-turn navigation, Facebook integration, Passbook organization, and even more Siri features and languages.

Customers can pre-order iPhone 5 beginning September 14. It will be available in the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, and the UK on September 21.
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:26 pm

I'll be interested to try out the new EarPods Apple is including with the iPhone 5 (or $29 separately).

I can't wear the normal Apple ear buds for very long without discomfort, so I bought the Apple in-ear earphones. They have very soft silicone seals that work fine for me. They're excellent on airplanes or when doing something moderately noisy, as they seal the ear canal. But they're not great for using with the phone, because you can't hear your own voice.

The EarPods are asymmetrical and were designed to sit in the ear, rather then be wedged in.

[09 17 12] Additional
Here's a comment posted on Macintouch:
Harold Zeh
I am pleased to write the new Apple EarPods live up to the billing. I'm impressed. Sound on par with more expensive in-ear solutions without the cord bump noises, foot fall thumps or ear canal fatigue. Finally!
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:38 pm

All the early news articles about the iPhone 5 made a big point of the changed dock connector, and how some people will need adapters. I guess anyone writing about Apple has to find something to complain about.

For me, the rearranged openings look great, for several reasons:

The total area of holes in the iPhone has been reduced dramatically. That means less chance of water entry, and a sturdier frame.
The new connector looks much more sturdy and sensible for a phone.
The microphone and speaker grids look larger, which might mean that the internal microphone and speaker can be larger and better.
Moving the earphone jack to the bottom is excellent, in my opinion. In the old design, both ends had large holes in them. I often carry my iPhone while I'm working in my shop, creating a lot of wood dust, or working on my walls in the house, creating a lot of sheetrock dust. Even though I keep a cloth flap over my iPhone 4, its top still gets dust on it. And I have to clean the earphone jack occasionally to get lint and dust out. All of that will be prevented in the new design.

I'm also very happy about how Apple compromised to increase the screen size while still making the iPhone small enough to hold in a hand comfortably. Other manufacturers have tried to make their phones not a good tablet and not a good phone.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone 5 2 million sales in first 24 hours

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:48 pm

CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) — Orders for the iPhone 5 topped 2 million in their first 24 hours, more than double the amount of its predecessor over the same period.
T. Michael Walkley, an analyst with Canaccord Genuity [revised] his previous prediction that Apple would sell 6 million of the new iPhones by September 29. He now believes "Apple could ship 9 million to 10 million" in that time, he told investors in a note on Monday.
Janney Capital Markets analyst Bill Choi said Apple's announcement Monday "suggests iPhone 5 is running well ahead of iPhone 4S." In a note to investors, Choi reaffirmed his earlier expectation that Apple will sell 7 million to 10 million iPhone 5s by the end of September.
It won't be easy for Apple to top the breakneck sales pace set by previous iPhones.
The New York Times

Regarding that last, I have to say "Huh?"
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone 5 boosts Apple's stock price

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:58 pm

Apple's share price broke through the $700 mark for the first time today in after-hours trading, continuing the company's meteoric rise as the most valuable publicly traded company in the world.
At the end of February, Apple broke through the important psychological barrier of $500 billion in market capitalization, then through $600 billion in April. Apple is now worth more than $650 billion, which is $225 billion -- or approximately one Google -- more than second-place ExxonMobil.
MacRumors
(Yes, I too arched an eyebrow at the source linked to from The New York Times. I don't know where MacRumors got their data.)
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:49 pm

The new EarPods live up to their promise, mostly. In a short test, I found them comfortable, and they did not fall out or loosen. They do not seal as well as the Apple In-Ear earbuds, with their silicone seal. That means that they would probably be less good in an airplane when blocking out noise is the top concern. On the other hand, they don't seal your ear canal, so they'd be better, I suspect, for talking on the iPhone.*
I'll be ordering two more for our cars.

On the other hand, I have a pair of high-end speakers in my living room that can shake your ribs. I don't expect the EarPods to mimic listening to music in my living room.

* I sure wish Apple would adopt the idea introduced many, many decades ago of adding a big of what the microphone is picking up to the ear speaker. That's why normal telephones work.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:06 pm

Whoa! Is my iPhone 5 defective? Does your home button look skewed (or twisted) like this:

Oh, wait, it's even weirder. I can turn the button around with my finger. I can make it straight or really crooked!!
Attachments
defective.jpg
defective.jpg (5.75 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:Does your home button look skewed (or twisted) like this
Mine is straight and doesn't turn. Looks like you have a "special" one.
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:35 pm

Ray Bentsen wrote:
Stephen Hart wrote:Does your home button look skewed (or twisted) like this
Mine is straight and doesn't turn. Looks like you have a "special" one.
That's two defective iPhones in a row. :( There's an opportunity to go into Seattle in the future, and maybe I'll take advantage of that to see what a "Genius" can do for me.
Steve Jobs