GoodReader For iPhone (And iPad)

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Richard Serkes
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

GoodReader For iPhone (And iPad)

Post by Richard Serkes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:46 am

One of the best readers for .PDF and other text files is a freebie called GoodReader. It now has the ability to encrypt individual files offering more security than just the iPhone logon. There's also a version of GoodReader for the iPad.
---
Always burn your bridges. You never know who's coming up from behind.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: GoodReader For iPhone (And iPad)

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Thanks for pointing this out, Richard.

On the old board, there was a discussion of password protecting a single document on the iPhone. My need is for a document of various numbers and passwords to be protected. My solution then was to put the document on my iDisk, which itself has a password.

Another method is to print the document to pdf, then open in Acrobat Pro, then password protect that document. GoodReader works fine with such a document. But that's a lot of steps for a document that changes much.

The GoodReader solution is better, though still not perfect.
You enable per-document password protection in GoodReader App Settings > General.

Then you pick Actions in the Document list (upper right corner) and enable the password for that one document.

(You can also enable password protection for the whole GoodReader app.)

Now that still doesn't automatically sync the document on your Mac with the one on the iPhone, but it's the simplest relatively safe procedure I've found so far. I hope Apple enables a sync folder (like DropBox) when MobileMe is updated.

Of course, if others should also have password-protected access to a particular document, then iDisk wins.

Also, FileMagnet, which overlaps in features with GoodReader, has password protection for the entire app.
Like GoodReader, FileMagnet cannot show password-protected Pages documents.

And you must check out FileMagnet's tilt-scroll feature. Tip the top of your iPhone down, and the text slides downhill like pasta off a plate. Tip it a little more and the text flips orientation and begins to slide back the other way, but upside down!
Psychedelic!
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:18 am

I don't know if this came with the latest update to GoodReader, but it's a potentially excellent feature.
On the old forum, I detailed a way to convert pdfs to ePub format using Calibre. GoodReader seems to do a similar thing to make pdfs easier to read.
Attachments
mzl.zmknvpup.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.zmknvpup.320x480-75.jpg (86.33 KiB) Viewed 1252 times
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:01 pm

Richard Serkes wrote:One of the best readers for .PDF and other text files is a freebie called GoodReader. It now has the ability to encrypt individual files offering more security than just the iPhone logon. There's also a version of GoodReader for the iPad.
I was just looking at this and I think it's a little more complicated.

GoodReader relies on iPhone hardware encryption. So for that to work, you have to have a passcode enabled on your phone. That's a smart thing to do if you're in a situation where someone else might get to your iPhone. But it's an awful hassle if you're the only one handling it. That means you have to enter a password 50 times a day.

But GoodReader will password protect individual files, as I outlined above. That's not encryption, just a password request for particular files.

I haven't fully tested this, but I just today found the one file I want password protected not requiring a password. I don't know if that happened with an update of GoodReader or when I replaced the file with an updated version.

Per-item password protection could be a lot easier to implement, and it could be iPhone-wide. Maybe when iOS 5 is released.
Steve Jobs