iPhone X Setup

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone X Setup

Post by Stephen Hart » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:24 pm

Thanks Ray. Here's where I got that impression:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/09/09 ... de-button/

I guess I should have been suspicious when they used "cuckoo" when they probably meant "dodo." The cuckoo is alive and well, thank you very much.

BTW, Here's Apple's own page on iPhone X navigation:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht208204
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:02 pm

My iPhone X arrived this afternoon, and I proceeded to set it up by restoring from the latest backup (this afternoon) from my 6s. I immediately ran into an issue I've seen before, but had forgotten. New iPhones often arrive with an out-of-date iOS version and can't be restored from an up-to-date backup.
Once I recognized the issue, I went to update on the iPhone X, only to get many "try again" messages. Perhaps the update server was swamped, or our DSL is so slow that the request timed out. Finally, I got the update started, and it completed in about 45 minutes.
[By the way, it turns out that the update was to 11.1.2, just released on Thursday. So the iPhone X restored from an older iOS version to a newer one.)
After that, the restore "completed" quickly. But once the iPhone restarts, you still need to wait for the apps to download. And by "download" I don't mean copy from iTunes by Lightning cable, because iTunes doesn't have anything to do with your apps anymore. Plus I need to sync a bunch of stuff like iBooks and photos from Aperture. Eventually I'll get to actually use my new iPhone X... I hope.

5:32 PM
The sync proceeded without incident, and everything seems to work. I'm still waiting for lots of apps to download.
Though I initially got a message in iTunes that I should call Verizon to activate my iPhone, it activated itself. I tested with receiving a call and checked on my Verizon account to see that my number is associated with an iPhone X (eligible for upgrade!).

After several amusing instances of invoking Siri by accident while my iPhone 6s was in my jeans pocket, I learned to keep it screen out. Now I need to learn the opposite, as the X has no button that can be pressed by accident, and it's much more convenient and safer to have the screen facing you when you pull out the iPhone.
Last edited by Stephen Hart on Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:43 pm

Oh, yes. And what am I going to do to even begin to fill up my 256 GB iPhone?
Steve Jobs

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:16 pm

I found that I had to turn off "Raise to Wake" (in Settings > Display&Brightness) when I discovered that my iPhone X would wake from sleep whenever I got out of my recliner!
;)
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Ray Bentsen
Administrator

Post by Ray Bentsen » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Stephen Hart wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:02 pm
After several amusing instances of invoking Siri by accident while my iPhone 6s was in my jeans pocket, I learned to keep it screen out. Now I need to learn the opposite, as the X has no button that can be pressed by accident, and it's much more convenient and safer to have the screen facing you when you pull out the iPhone.
Another solution is to simply turn off the Siri side button option. (see screenshot)
I was sometimes invoking Siri when trying to invoke Sleep! Pressing the side button is a little difficult with my thick Griffin Survivor Strong case!

It is interesting (to me, anyway) that even though I have turned on "Hey Siri" on both my iPhone and Apple Watch, the correct one replies even when I hold the iPhone in my left hand while having the watch on my left wrist. If I am looking at the iPhone the iPhone replies, but when I am looking at the watch the watch replies. Very cool!

;)
Attachments
IMG_3182.png
IMG_3182.png (82.86 KiB) Viewed 64 times
An old Norse adage: Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:32 pm

It is interesting (to me, anyway) that even though I have turned on "Hey Siri" on both my iPhone and Apple Watch, the correct one replies

In one of the several times I was setting up my iPhone X today, both my iPhone X and my iPhone 6s were responding when I said "Hey Siri," as part of training the new iPhone X. Apparently after successfully restoring, I didn't have to train the iPhone X again for "Hey Siri."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:38 pm

Another solution is to simply turn off the Siri side button option. (see screenshot)
I'm pretty sure I won't need to do that. The problem I used to have was when crouching down to load and unload our front-loading washer and dryer. Somehow that'd squish the iPhone 6s and trigger Siri. But if I turned the Home button outward, there was no problem.

It's hard to imagine how I could squeeze the side button accidentally while it's in my pocket, but time will tell. Meanwhile, it's nice to have the screen facing me when I take the iPhone out of my pocket instead of having to flip it around with one hand.

So far, I'm very happy with how the iPhone X works. I'm already used to the Home gesture, and I think pretty close with the app-switching gesture. And the iPhone X fits in my modified jeans pockets perfectly.
Steve Jobs