iPhone 6s battery problems

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iPhone 6s battery problems

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:53 am

Apple has a battery replacement program for certain iPhone 6s models. As usual, you can check to see if your serial number qualifies:

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s- ... dshutdown/

My iPhone 6s does qualify, so I'll plan to get the battery replaced on our next trip to Seattle.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone 6s battery problems

Post by Stephen Hart » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:23 pm

Followup:

So I started this process with a chat with Apple Support. My goal was to see if I could arrange an expedited replacement, where they send you a replacement, put a pending charge on your card, then remove that pending charge once they receive the old iPhone in exchange. This saves a drive to Seattle/Tacoma, and I've done this before. The answer I got was "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

Still in the same chat, I asked to get an appointment set up at the University Village Store in Seattle, thinking we would have more choices of things to do while waiting than the Tacoma Mall store offered. The representative set up the appointment (a Monday) and told me to check inventory before we drove over.
On Friday, we called the store to check inventory--remember, this is just a battery recall on iPhone 6s--and were told that they couldn't guarantee that a battery would be available. It's first come, first served, they said. A bit miffed, we inquired about what options we had.

You may not be surprised to learn that the option offered was that Apple would ship a replacement, and we would send back the iPhone with the potential battery problems.

The replacement arrived today, and it appears to be a one-month-old iPhone 6s, the right capacity and color, new, not a refurb, and, most importantly, not in the serial number series with the battery problem.

And, though the replacement process using iTunes isn't exactly intuitive (you have to update iOS, then cancel, then restore from a backup), it all worked.

Bonus: the Home button on the replacement clicks. The one on my original iPhone 6s (only a year old) more "mushes"
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs