iPhone App listing

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

iPhone App listing

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:29 pm

My wife and I both have iPhones 5C running with iOS 9.3.2 (the latest according to software update). In my phone all of the Apps that I have purchased, and the free ones, are shown in the Settings list of all of the Apps shown on the home page. By being in the Settings list there is a right arrow that allows for additional settings to configure the way each of the Apps work.

The problem is that these purchased Apps are now shown in the Settings list on my wife's phone. The list stops after the Vimeo app, the last of the imbedded Apps by Apple. I have compared the settings choice between her phone and my phone and I cannot find any differences that is preventing hers from showing up in the Settings list. Likewise, we cannot do the specific configurations for these apps as there isn't any link to get to those options.

What am I missing? Why aren't the purchased and free downloaded Apps showing in my wife's Setting list?

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Re: iPhone App listing

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:38 am

This may have something to do with which Apple ID each iPhone is logged into.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:30 pm

Stephen,
I am not following your comment about having "something to do with which Apple ID each iPhone is logged into." We have separate Apple IDs/accounts. She downloads with her ID and I use mine when I download/purchase. There is no attempt to share. In some cases we do have the same App on our phones, but I have many more than she does.

Oops, I see a typo in my original post, but I think you deciphered it correctly. The first sentence of the second para. should read, "The problem is that these purchased Apps are NOT shown in the Settings list on my wife's phone". "Now" should be "not".

As an aside, her free and purchased Apps are showing on her IPad Settings list.

Now, I am really confused.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:13 pm

I meant, are you seeing something wrong if you consider what she bought on her Apple ID and what you bought? Remember that clicking Get is the same as buying something. It's attached to your Apple ID. So it's more like buying something for $0.00.
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:04 pm

No, everything is working fine. I am just curious why her phone isn't showing what mine is showing and what the iPhone manual says it is supposed to do when you download an App. However, I did have the thought that maybe there are some configuration settings that might be interesting to investigate that I can't get there since the right facing arrow is not there to click on to see what the setting options are. As I mentioned in the beginning, the configuration arrow appears in the list of the Apps in the Settings list and that is not showing on her phone.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:47 am

So comparing her phone to my screenshot, you're not seeing the apps you expect listed? Or are you seeing the app, but not the right-facing carat symbol? What do you see when the iPhone showing in iTunes and you click Apps to show the list of apps on the iPhone? (Screenshot 2)
Attachments
apps.jpg
apps.jpg (31.11 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
itunesapps.jpg
itunesapps.jpg (40.82 KiB) Viewed 1617 times
Steve Jobs

Bob Wiswell
Forum Member - Level 3
Forum Member - Level 3

Post by Bob Wiswell » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:34 pm

I apparently created a mountain out of a mole hill. It turns out the purchased Apps are showing up on my wife's phone. Apparently after awaking the phone, or turning it on with the power button, it takes a minute (not literally) for the purchased Apps to show up in the Settings list. It appears the phone checks in with "headquarters" for the Apps that have been purchased and are currently being used/shown on the home page. I discovered this by not seeing the Purchased Apps on my phone Settings list recently when I turned it on (they always show up on the home page and are available for use on both of our phones). I never noticed, in the past, that there was a delay in displaying the Apps in the Settings list.

Bottom Line: Everything seems to be fine. I just didn't understand our equipment.