iPhone Recycling

Discussion of non-operating system issues related to iPods, iPhones, and the iPod Touch.
Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

iPhone Recycling

Post by Stephen Hart » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:50 am

So after upgrading, we were left with a serviceable iPhone 5. I looked at various options for trade-ins, etc.
Then today, I saw a mention on Macintouch that Apple will give a credit coupon for a recycled iPhone. Here's Apple's page:

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/reuse_and_recycle

I now have a quote of $200 in Apple credit, once my iPhone 5 arrives at the recycler and is accepted as in the condition I said it was. This is just the iPhone, in normal, unbroken condition, no Lightning cable or original packaging required. Easy and I know I can use the Apple credit.

[Update 2/2/16] My iPhone 5 arrived at the recycler, and they e-mailed to say I will receive Apple Store credit for $200.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

mapaw
Forum Member
Forum Member
Location: Dungeness Valley / Main's Farm outside of Sequim WA

Re: iPhone Recycling

Post by mapaw » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:25 pm

Thanx for this info. I will check into them for my iPhone 4s. Probably not close to $200 but more than zero. Now I just have to figure out how to wipe it clean w/o a service provider on it anymore. I didn't think about that before I switched to my iPhone SE.

Stephen Hart
Forum Member - Level 5
Forum Member - Level 5

Post by Stephen Hart » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:34 pm

I think you can still use the erase all data function on the iPhone. Or you could download the latest iOS to your Mac and restore the iPhone in iTunes.

Note that the result of recycling using the Apple/Brightstar program is an Apple Store credit.
"Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
Steve Jobs

ChrisO
Club Officer

Post by ChrisO » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:45 am

You can find the instructions for wiping your phone here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

Make sure you sign out of iCloud and Find My iPhone first.

An iPhone 4s is worth about $20. When I upgraded from an iPhone 5 I sold it to MacTraders, but I'm not sure if there's a market for the 4s. Worth a call.